Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Colorwash.... on the design wall

This is not exactly what I had in my head, but I needed to view a photo to decide whether to continue or not.  Carolina Byways quilt was posted on about.com.  I love the name and the design, but wasn't crazy about the technique she used to make the blocks.  So I thought I would challenge myself to use up a lot of stray 2 1/2" strips for this.  I am working on a horizontal layout for the strips that are randomly cut....on the diagonal at about 5 inches. The diagonal cuts give me the mountain peaks and angled sides. 
Then I am filling in with "bricks" cut at 2 1/2 by 3 inches....these will give me the ability to take up or add in where needed to make things fit.   This photo shows just the shape and general spacing that I am trying to create.  I like the effect of the grayed peaks at the top, like mountains in the distance.  I see a good bit of refining is needed there, and I may need to add one more in the upper right corner.  
Of course, this could end up a sewing nightmare and not the way I envision it.....that would make it a pile of scraps!   For now, I think I will stick with it and see.

3 comments:

Mary Lou Casada said...

Deb, I am a total DUNCE :-) when it comes to watercolor quilts...but gosh, what you have on the wall is gorgeous! Like the Smokey Mountains down into NC's Black Mountain...misty and mysterious and majestic! It also puts me in the mind of the Pyramids; I can just imagine a simlar design in taupes and browns and creams and golds. Very cool!
Blessings,
Mary Lou

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

this definitely has possibilities, keep working on it.

Cheryl said...

Hi , I am defintly likeing this!! May I make a suggestion? it would be nice if you could add some more reds, rust and burgany, towards the lower right corner ?I can vision the mountian peaks also ,can't wait to see it finished .Don't give up yet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...