Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Journal quilt...I've lost count.

  I've saved all the scraps from the paper piecing and trimming on the batik blocks.  So they became the source of inspiration for this journal quilt. 
  I have a small enamel vase on the shelf in my sewing room.  It was a souvenir I bought my mother many years ago, and the blue/green batik prints remind me of it.  She loved that color combination. 
  The background is done crazy patch style on a muslin foundation using light blues, and the table top is a mix of taupe fabrics.  I drew the vase shape on the foundation and tried to work around it, leaving the shape uncovered with the piecing.
  For the vase....I drew the shape onto the paper side of heat and bond, and covered the shape with all the tiny pieces on the glue side. The shape was  cut out and fused to the foundation.  The little "twigs" are twisted thin strips straight stitched down.  I used the "trapunto technique"  behind the vase when I stitched it to the foundation.  All the extra batting was cut away.  I straight stitched in matching thread to hold down all the tiny pieces at this point.
  Then on to the batting and backing and quilting.  I decided to try to only use straight stitching  and not use free motion quilting.   So I only used simple curves around the vase shape.  The edge is unfinished right now....not sure if I will bind it or just use  thread. 
   I spent the afternoon cleaning--shock!---so maybe tomorrow I will to finish this.  I completed a few more batik blocks and need to take a photo. Again, maybe tomorrow.  Till then, happy stitching.

1 comment:

Exuberant Color said...

I like this one, everything about it. I think simpler quilting is good, less distracting from the focal point. A thread edge would be good since it doesn't call for a frame of binding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...