Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thread painting on String Me Along applique


Just a few peaks at the thread painting details I am using on some of the flowers in the  String Me Along quilt.   This tiger lily turned out great using black thread to free motion stitch in the stamens.  Just back and forth straight stitches. 




For the periwinkle blue cone flower, I accented each petal by outlining it in a lighter color and used a very narrow zigzag stitch. 







I  used tiny stitches on this small  yellow bloom to outline the petals. The center is the decorative eyelet stitch on my machine.  I used a Pigma pen to fill in the center of  the flower and on the edges of the hummingbird.   

I had a question asked about raw edge "frayed" applique, like I used on the French Roses quilt.   I don't see why it wouldn't work on a quilt design like this.  Actually, it would be a very different version with wider vertical rows needed.  The applique would be larger and in layers.   I think it's a great idea to try.

So, I guess you can tell I have most of the top together.  I have to piece together the back now and get it ready to quilt. 

Happy stitching.

2 comments:

  1. Learning to thread paint is one of my goals. Your work really enhances this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie, I am really liking this String Me Along. I can't wait to see how you finish it .

    ReplyDelete

Love questions and comments! No reply bloggers....if you have something to say, please include email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...