Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Waste not scrap quilt

   I started this scrap project to use up strips  in January.  It was kind of inspired by the 1600 jelly roll quilts I saw on line.  I figured I had plenty of strips already cut, so why buy a jelly roll.  I stuck with mainly blues and greens and just strung them together in long, long strips.  I decided to work with value---what a surprise---keeping the lights together in rows and darks in rows placed on the outside.    I just kept adding rows and sewing until I ran out of long enough strips.  This finished up 48 " by 68".
   Time to quilt it.....and get it finished. 

  I showed the quilting I used on the center in my last post.  When I got to the border, I used something different.  In the book, Freemotion Quilting by Judy Woodworth, I saw this variation on meandering.  She referred to it as echo meandering.  I like it and tried it here.  It gives a great texture that reminds me of tree bark.
  Binding.........I used up  almost  every short piece of blue that I had left over.  I probably used 15 different fabrics on the binding.    The entire quilt is a perfect  Waste Not project. 
  Happy stitching.

4 comments:

  1. That is so pretty.....I like them a little more planned than the jelly roll race anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very pretty quilt and I appreciate the information about another reference on a freemotion quilting resource. Good stash buster too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best of any that I've seen and I think it's because of the way you've used your lights and darks. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete

Love questions and comments! No reply bloggers....if you have something to say, please include email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...