Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Thoughts on details

  It was great to read all the encouraging comments about my guest post.  Thank you all and welcome to the new followers.  I put  the Color Talk post on a new page. 
 This lovely embroidered card came in the mail from Margaret of the Fiber Friends group in Landrum.  It is just  exactly me, wildflowers and the swirl.  The paper is heavy and embossed--hand made and almost feels like fabric-- and all the flowers and stems are embroidered by machine.

  In the smaller photo you can see the stitches better and all the detail used.  Isn't it always "in the details" that makes  something special?   Whether it is the color and shading, or the curves and branching, it is the little things, those details, that enrich the project.
  I am not always good about finishing the details.  I tend to get carried away with the finished overall project.  I can look at certain quilts I have made, and realize that a bit more time on the details would have been  worth the effort.  Maybe a little more design time when arranging blocks, or extra thought to piecing the border, or even selecting a better quilting pattern----all of these are details.  I may follow through on one and forget the rest.
I think there may be a life lesson here to remember.......
  Insight:  Enjoy the journey. Don't miss the details and joys of the journey by focusing on the destination or end.   
Happy stitching.

5 comments:

Terri said...

Congratulations Debbie! You have won the Liebster Award. Come on by my blog to see how it works.
Hugs!!!

Judy said...

How true is that-to enjoy the journey?? Thanks for reminding us as it's easy to forget that.

SeeingStars said...

Such pretty embroidery!

There's a joyful balance in improving skills and finishing the project. If we worry too much about our skills not reaching perfection, we won't press on with the project. On the other hand, if we focus only on the finish, becoming sloppy or taking shortcuts, we also miss the joy in learning and growing.

Lynne said...

"Enjoy the journey" - a good reminder to us all! I've learnt the hard way over the past two weeks to pay attention to the details of accurate cutting and sewing!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

That embroidery is just beautiful. Your insight is right on. Definately words I need to remember!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...