Thursday, September 27, 2012

Bonus FMQ from photos

   Can you believe September  has flown by?   So I better get this bonus tutorial by Susan Brubaker Knapp posted for the  Free Motion Challenge.   This is good info, but sure to check it out.   Last week I took photos  outside for the first part of the challenge.  This morning I got down to work and put the needle to one.
    I used a regular lead pencil to trace the design onto fabric.   I had a question about the   Sewline pencil    last week that I some times use.  It is designed  for marking fabric and can be erased or washed out.   I do love it for  marking diagonals for HSTs and applique.  Today I could not find it---too much cleaning and it got misplaced---so I just used a regular pencil.  
     I don't mark a lot of quilting lines usually, but I will try to remove obvious marks.  I am not a perfectionist, nor do I quilt for show entries....so what is a stray mark or two on a quilt that is to be used?

  I stitched the design....missing a few marks along the way.  Then I decided to fill in a bit of the extra space with overlapping leaves from another photo inspiration.
  So what did I learn from this?  First take photos....lots of them.  Second:   Look for the designs or repeated patterns for inspiration.   Third: enjoy the freedom..... Mix it up when stitching.  
   
One final note---the light I ordered for the machine is the Ecolux 6 light LED .  It is a very tiny strip of 6 LEDs that mounts under the neck extension of the machine.  I tried it today for the first time and noticed a huge difference.  I am still dealing with some shadows, but it is so much better.

3 comments:

  1. I just love your free motion....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful. I haven't looked at that bonus tutorial, but I'm doing it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo, you are doing so well with FMQ.

    ReplyDelete

Love questions and comments! No reply bloggers....if you have something to say, please include email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...