Sunday, February 10, 2013

2013 Challenge for Free Motion Quilting

A new year and a new challenge in free motion quilting from SewCalGal .   This time it is a little different as this challenge will extend thru to October of this year with 4 to 6 different ones to help improve our skills.
The first one is posted  and features Libby Lehman and  Threadplay  and Sheer Ribbon Illusion.  I'm sure you can guess that I was interested  ;)  Oh, yeah!
  I went right on over and watched the video---hint:  watch it soon, as there is no telling how long it will be available for free.  Well, then knock me over.....who knew that this technique was thread painting!  It has been a while since I did this, and I really enjoyed it.


 I got in a little play time / practice.  Not a great one....but a good beginning.   I had to add extra strips around a 6 inch square to have a big enough piece to hoop for stitching.
   I drew my "splat"---watch the video to learn---and picked out thread to experiment some.

  What I learned:
1.   Be sure to have 3 good values of thread...light, medium, and dark.
2.  Don't make the areas too small.
3.  Circles are hard....I did better with a stipple or lazy 8 motion.



4.  Do you see my major goof?  It was not until I got the photo on the computer that I saw a goof.......I have the light source wrong .  The top edge of the  areas should be the light side!  I reversed  it  :(    I have the light coming from the bottom side and it distorts the illusion.   In my haste to try, I forgot this important element.

5.  Be sure to leave enough light  thread areas showing.....don't cover it up so much with the medium value.
   I did better on the blue areas  The purple ones, where I began first, do not have enough of the lightest value showing and they appear more flat.

I will be trying this again in a few days....practice makes perfect, or at least better!   I will probably turn this into a mug rug.  Before I try a bigger project, I will make a few more smaller ones.
***  Added note***  To view the videos, you need a basic---but free--membership to The Quilt Show.  Sign up is easy....just another name and password to remember  ;)    If you already have the membership pack you are ready to view.

Happy stitching.

6 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I wasn't able to get into the videos, but I love what you have done - even if a little 'inside out' with color values! Nicely written up on your experience and great tips.

SewCalGal said...

Debbie I think you did a great job. You could think of the light source effect's to create a certain style of ribbon, but also twisted ribbon is also depicted in your beautiful threadplay. Glad you enjoyed this challenge...and the free video on TQS!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Quilting Babcia said...

Great little project, and I appreciate your posting the tips about light source and color values - those elements are the most difficult for me to wrap my head around. This looks like much fun, I'm looking forward to trying it soon.

Lynne said...

Wow! It looks amazing! Even if it's not exactly as it "should" be!

Janet O. said...

Looks very pretty to me, Debbie. I think this challenge is way beyond me. I'll just enjoy yours! : )

FarmNana said...

This is on my list of techniques to try, so thanks for all the hits! And as for the light source, it just means that the light is coming from underneath the ribbon - kind of an interesting effect you've discovered!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...