Wednesday, August 21, 2013

No vacuum here

     Nature abhors a vacuum and I do too......even the kind you push and pull around.   Since the design wall was empty, I  pulled out the on going Scrappy Trip Around the World.   I was curious as to how this one would look..... given the wild variety of fabrics.  Yesterday I had 9 blocks completed.  And right, it looks like a huge mess.
   Last night while getting caught up on a few episodes of Project Runway, I put together a few more blocks and sewed together a lot more stratas to cut apart.

    Project Runway......sometimes I love it and sometimes it's a disaster.  This season is more personalities and disasters.  I see only 2 stand outs in the whole lot of them....Dom is right on the mark, I think.
    So why do I watch?  I know I will be shot for expressing this........but for years all I heard from my daughter was fashion design.  We struggled to get her into the right school,  lived through the ups and downs,  and watched her fulfill her dream.  With every challenge on the show, I remember her calls about the current assignment......and the un-conventional sources, her design vision,  and things she had to do.
     There was one dress she did that had to feature "closures"----like zippers, hooks, and such.  She created a futuristic dress of red pleather with a 50 inch +  double ended zipper on the diagonal  (quite a feat and quite revealing  when both ends were unzipped :)    The sleeves attached with D-rings.  It was a success and featured in articles for a fashion show event in Philly.  
  So I watch for the memories it brings, and because it gives me a good time to stitch.  And that brings me back to last night.


   Three more blocks completed and a little re-arranging and this one is taking shape.  Even with all the strange, crazy color and fabric combos, it is working!  I kind of like the off-set trip....but don't hold me to it until it is done.
  Each block is 6 fabrics of 2 1/2" strips, so the blocks will finish at 12".   20 blocks will make a nice lap size, but 30 would be a good size one.  I  will just keep going to see where it ends up, or when I get tired of it.  
You can find the directions at Quiltville......thanks to Bonnie Hunter.

   Happy stitching.

6 comments:

Janet O. said...

Looks like it is coming together well! Makes me want to get out the one I started back in January and make some progress! *sigh* Someday!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Funny how a little rearranging give a new light. I got bored with mine and passed the blocks on to Sarah's group to play with.

Dana Gaffney said...

It looks good, I've had that on my list for awhile now but the thought of all of those little squares puts me off. Your Project Runway story made me remember what I called "the serial killer of the week" phone call from Cori, there's probably a reality show that would remind me of that but I'm not going to watch it, LOL.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I can't wait to try one of these next year. I enjoy Project Runway too and agree that this year seems to have turned into casting "personalities" vs. talent. I like Dom and Braden... the rest seem pretty mediocre so far.

Terri said...

I love all the color mixed up together! Yummy!
It was inevitable that your daughter would be creative... she gets it from U.
Hugs

Lynne said...

That's another quilt on my "some day" list!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...