Sunday, December 6, 2015

Getting the Yang of it?

  I mentioned the Quilty 365 Circle journey last week....see the link on the sidebar.  And I have been making a circle a day, working from my scrap bin so far.  Actually, there is a lot of good stuff in there!  Even so......it can get boring and there is a long road for the year.


  Yesterday's block is at the top.  The bottom block is today's....split into a yin/yang type plume  :)    I wasn't sure that it would work, but it did.

  Contrasting paisley type prints  seemed like a good combo to try this one on.











   To create the yang plume.....I drew the circle and then divided it with the gentle curve to make a plume shape.
  Then I cut the paper piece out and used it to make a stiffer pattern piece out of my extra paint swatch cards!

 Tip:  Those paint cards  are easy to cut, not too thick, and free!  Grab a handful the next time you are at the ''big box'' store to use for applique templates.

  Using the paint card template I drew 2 onto heat and bond light fusible.  Before applying to the fabric back, I cut out the center portion of the fusible about 1/4'' from the drawn line.   Then I fused these to the fabric backs, cut out on the line and fused to the background square.    I slightly over-lapped the inner curve thru the circle.    Then I finished it off with the buttonhole stitch.  

  I really like the effect of this one!  And I will probably do more of this shape, just to keep it interesting.

  I think this year long journey is going to provide a different kind of inspiration.....experimenting with focus, shape, threads, color and contrast.  Hope you will click over and join in soon!

Oh, I almost forgot to mention all the ORANGE  covering the roads around here...flags flying and stickers of tiger paws on so many cars!   Congratulations to the Clemson Tigers for their ACC win last night.  A year of no losses---so amazing.  I know my nephews are dancing with glee :)

Happy stitching.

4 comments:

Dana Gaffney said...

Oh, I like that yin and yang thing, it opens a whole bunch of possibilities to make it more interesting.

Quilting Babcia said...

Oh yes, you're going fun and fancy with this one, love the yin-yang paisleys.

Janet O. said...

Very clever twist, Debbie!

Nicki said...

Yin & Yang are right up your alley with those "plume" shapes. That was very clever of you to come up with that. You go girl!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...