Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Playing with a layout

  I got in a little design time and made a couple of circles.  I so loved this scrap from Wanda at Exuberant Color.  Mr. Cardinal was a bit large--5'' head to tail---so I had to rethink how to use him.  Inspiration struck last week from somewhere.....I actually woke up one morning and knew how to use him.   I had to carefully add slim bits to the top and one side to get a full circle, but  it can hardly be seen.
  So a 5'' circle needed a larger background square.  I debated on piecing the background and then I found this snowman print mixed in with the uglies.  The grey was a perfect match....worked for me.


  In January I showed this collaged block that I played around with.   The pieces are fussy cut and fused and then stitched down.  It was not intended as a circle for the 365 project, but it has found a way in after all.









   Last month I showed this crazy layout.   It would involve a lot of  fill in piecing.  It's still a possibility for the light background squares.....or leftovers in the end.   Or this might be a good one for just floral fabrics.

  But on to the latest idea.......








  Here is the first try as I mix in very large circles with the 4 1/2'' size.   I began by clumping similar background squares , thinking they would balance the large squares.       Viewing it on the computer now, I see a possible better arrangement.   Shifting things around I can frame the large squares and make them appear to be overlapping the smaller ones....maybe?

  Also I discovered a couple of duplicates....oops!  Good reason to plan a couple of smaller quilts :)




  I have the quilts pulled for the trunk show for next week and  now I need to pull together the samples for the workshop and gather all the extra stuff.   Next week's calendar is packed with appointments and things after that, so I may take a break  from posting.
  I need to get some things done....just done!  As today is one of power a la Star Wars.......May the forth be with you.    Sorry, could not resist this pun:)
Happy stitching.

12 comments:

Jasmine said...

I love the look combining the two sizes.

Marle said...

Wonderful layouts! I love Mr Cardinal!

Mary said...

Love, love, love both the cardinal and collage blocks!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Both layouts look wonderful. The cardinal and collage are special circles. Take time to breath with your heavy schedule.

Quilting Babcia said...

I really like your new layout ideas,that collage block is wonderful, as is Mr. Cardinal! Have fun doing your trunk show!

Janet O. said...

I think you are having way too much fun with the circles. Some really clever ideas you have going. I'm curious to see how you are going to switch things up.

Béa said...

Both layouts are beautiful, so many ideas .

Dana Gaffney said...

That snowman fabric was in the uglies? Maybe I should have taken you up on your threat, LOL. The different sizes of the circles adds so much to the layout, it adds a lot of eye draw (is that a thing?). Good luck with the trunk show and take lots of pictures please.

Gene Black said...

That is a clever way to use the cardinal. I love the collaged block

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas on design possibilities.

liniecat said...

Love love love the appliqued circle what a great idea. Your quilt is going to be such a beauty!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like that your circles are different sizes. A much more interesting quilt that way. At the end of the year, to see it finished, I can't wait (Yoda speak),

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...