Saturday, December 10, 2016

Mug Rugs today

  Baby, it's cold outside today.  It was 25 degrees when I got up.  Extra coffee will be needed.  So I am working on a few mug rugs.  I took photos this time of how I now do my backing for ease of turning and finishing.


   My hand stitching is even more limited now due to the neuropathy in my fingers.    So instead of leaving a side open for turning, I realized a back opening would be much less noticeable for my poor stitches.  I use an over-sized piece of backing that I split in to 2 pieces and then rejoin----leaving an opening for turning.






   I layer the back right side up, the front is placed right side down, and then the batting is on top.  Note the batting is cut about 1/4'' smaller than the top.  No trimming will be needed for the batting this way.  Plus, the batting edge becomes a stitching guide.....I sew right next to the edge and catch batting in the stitching in spots to hold everything in place.  Sew around all 4 sides.








    Prepare to turn by clipping the corners and trimming off any extra backing fabric.

  Turn mug rug inside out and poke out the corners with a chopstick, or purple thing, etc.  I haven't pressed these yet, but the one on the right is the backside.  Note the pin is on the seam line that needs a few stitches to close it.





   Turned and ready to press and then get quilted.  This focus of Take Chances was too good to toss even it part of it was cut off.  I think straight match stick quilting will be good here.



  I am now counting the days until the purple stitches are removed from my palms...3 days to go.  The soreness is gone, and  I tried using the rotary cutter a little bit for squaring these up.  Yea!!!!  I am not ready to cut strips or anything, but no pain and no pressure applied.    And....this is big, I can raise my right arm over my head with no pain traveling up the nerve to my shoulder.  No pain, no burning,,,,wow!    So soon I will be able to begin light exercises to build lost strength.  And by the new year I will get to turn on Hot Legs and quilt!  Now that's motivation.
  Happy stitching.  

16 comments:

Robby said...

Great timely tip, as this is on my agenda for next week. Thanks. And such good news about the progress on your hand/arm!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Excellent news about your health progress!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

They look great. I have some I want to make, but, it will be next year, since I'm already behind. I was diagnosed with Tennis elbow on Thursday, and put on a very restricted range of motion. It's going to take me even longer to finish all my stuff before the new year. Oh well, at least I do get to keep sewing. It's mainly the household stuff that I'm restricted on (lifting pots, vacuuming, all those things I don't like anyways). Hubby is being really helpful, since he had this happen a few years ago.

Dana Gaffney said...

OMG, arm above head with no pain? That's amazing and huge news! Congratulations! Are you happy dancing? I'll do it for you :) I like the way these mug rugs look and matchstick is the way to go, they'll be a nice way to ease into quilting again, I bet your wanting to try your beautiful feathers again after the new year.

Mary said...

So happy to hear about your healing progress! You and Wanda...working on mug rugs right now.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I may try that method of finishing on one group of mug rugs. I really don't want to try to match a binding to them.

I'm glad to hear you are improving and hope your strength comes back completely.

Ray and Jeanne said...

I am so glad you are improving!!! The new year isn't that far away... Making a back opening instead of a side opening is a great idea. Think I'll use that idea with some of my young quilting friends - should be easier for them. ~Jeanne

Mystic Quilter said...

A really good idea you came up with, anything to make life easier when you have problems with hands and fingers. You'll be happier with the stitches out, just still be careful!

Gene Black said...

I will definitely be trying the method you used on these. I can even see marking the front so that the quilting stitches could close the opening. (pins through from each end on back then mark with removable pencil- and take pins out.)
I think the "cut off" bit of "Take Chances" resonates with the sentiment, making it better than perfect.

Judy Cooper Textile Artist said...

Marvelous tip. I don't like hand stitching along the outer edges after turning. The edge often doesn't sit straight. I will be using your method for small projects such as this.

Quilting Babcia said...

Wonderful news about your arm! We'll all rejoice with you!

Lindah said...

Good progress! Good for motivation.
Good idea to leave the back open.
Good post; all good news. Can't beat that.

Janet O. said...

I am so excited for your progress, Debbie! I know you will be dedicated to your exercises and continue to improve.
I do my backings in a similar way, with one difference. I will have to take photos next time to share with you and see if it will be something you want to do.

Barbara said...

Mug rugs are so much fun. Great progress, m'dear!

Nicki said...

Your thoughts on how to turn the mug rugs is brilliant! You always think out of the box & where there is a will, there is a way. I'm so glad to hear that your pains are dwindling down & I just know 2017 will be a fantastic year for you.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I make pocket quilts from scraps. I saw a tip on sewing the backing on so you don't have to clip the corner and it turns perfectly. When you sew the first side seam, sew off. Then fold the seam allowance at the corner you just sewed towards the piece, and start sewing the next side from the edge over the folded seam allowance, sew off, fold seam allowance and sew the next seam, all the way around. I leave an opening for turning, but your method is good. When you turn the piece right side out, the corners just pop into place. I use a purple thang.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...