Monday, July 16, 2018

More string things

  String blocks of course are a project to use leftovers strips and strings on.    I did 4 more sections for a spider web block.   I really like the black and white print for the center star shape.
 But I am drowning in strings here.











  So coiled baskets are a way to use some strings.  And it gives me a project to work on when I am sitting outside,  or watching TV, etc.  I am sorting strings into color families  to add to the clothesline.  Glue stick and  those mighty clips sure make it  easy to control the ends.
   I am thinking ahead to gifts for the neighbors this year.  A nice basket of cookies will work :)








 A tip I learned: 
   I set up the Featherweight in the living room and have been eating up the strings making spider web blocks.    I began to have some issues with the FW.....it began gathering the fabric and then the thread would snap.  I cleaned it, I re-threaded, found an extra thread or two....on and on.  Still something was not right.  On one of the FW forums I asked a question about it  and was told to try a different thread.   That was it.....the FWs were built  well before our newer, very thin, lightweight threads.  They  often slip thru the tension disks throwing the tension off ---making the machine think there is no thread? maybe.  I had been using an end of a spool of Aurifil and also some Soft Touch thread. A little heavier thread solved the problem.  At least this time.....
    And with that, I will get some laundry done and sew a bit between loads.
Happy stitching. 

13 comments:

Julierose said...

Your spider web blocks are really nice--I like the centers too.
Hugs, Julierose

Ray and Jeanne said...

Hoping you are gaining control of your strings - they do tend to accumulate. The spiderwebs are neat. I've never made a coiled basket; I might need to try that one day. At times, I've had issues with my Featherweight. I don't think I've ever tried changing thread (although I probably inadvertently have). Thanks for the headsup. ~Jeanne

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

The thread does make a difference, but a FW will sew without thread at all, like putting holes in paper for templates. It doesn't care, it will keep going as long as you press the pedal. Try tightening the bobbin tension to use the really thin newer threads to keep the thread from jumping out of the tensioner.

Gene Black said...

Thanks for sharing this. It never occurred to me that the thinner threads could be the problem with the FW. Now I want to get mine out and experiment with different threads.

Mary said...

I like your center to the spiderweb block too. You have some lucky neighbors: a handmade basket and cookies!

LA Paylor said...

that's a good use of the internet! Finding out a solution for all of us, thank you! I sure like your string makings, the block and baskets.

Louise said...

The strings just never decrease, do they? Good thing string blocks look so good! I'm always amazed at how big a difference thread can make. Even within the same brand, different colors can behave in odd ways. I've had to toss a couple of spools that kept shredding. I think the dye can weaken certain colors. Glad you figured out your FW issue :)

Linda Swanekamp said...

I am on vacation with limited wifi, but I have to read and comment your block. If I was there I would take apart the hook and clean it real well and oil. I found that the tolerances on the Featherweight are so precise, that the thread can easily get hung up with any dirt/lint. I am able to use Bottom Line on mine. Love your string bolkcks.

Quilting Babcia said...

First I love your string blocks! Interesting how different machines produce varying results. I've had no issues with Aurifil 50 wt thread in both bobbin and as top thread in any of my vintage machines including the featherweight, but none of them will tolerate Connecting Threads essential thread which is a bit heavier. I agree with Linda's comment above about cleaning the hook well.

MissPat said...

I really like the centers on your spider web blcks. So much more interesting than a solid color which is often used. Don't have a featherweight, so I'm not any help in that department.
Pat

Janet O. said...

Good uses of your strings!
That is a very pretty string star of black on white centers.
And your idea for a coiled bowl of cookies for neighbor Christmas gifts--who wouldn't be thrilled with that?!?

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I can only use Aurifil on my modern machine. I use Gutterman or Coats & Clark on my vintage machines. I love spiderweb quilts.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I love your 'spiderweb' blocks. The b&w make for interesting centres, especially when teamed up with a few brights.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...