Friday, August 17, 2018

I was ruthless

  I haven't done a lot in the sewing room this week, but I wanted to get some fabric put away that I pulled out of the closet.  You know how that goes probably.  You have to re-arrange things to get it back in, and in the process you find things.  Don't even think about snickering because it could happen to you.

   First find......a water color wall hanging unfinished......and sewn together wrong!  I remember this one.  Oh  yes, from just before I got so sick 2 years ago.  This was from the last strip pieced class I taught.  I brought home the sample parts and made the last few blocks, decided to make a wreath out of this set and then proceeded to sew the last row upside down or something.  Awful!  I must have hung it up on a hanger and put it in the closet.  Then I went downhill from there.

   So I did the unsew thing and put it together correctly.  It needs a border, but it is up on the design  wall  for now.





    Second find.....was about 20  fabric squares for string piecing foundations.  These were 8'', so I am thinking they are leftover from when I made the Faceted Jewels quilts.


I started to just put them back where I found them on the shelf but caught myself.   I was going to have to face them someday.  This lead to another decision.  4---count them four--- bins of strings are too many!
    I just began to cover the foundations until all were done.   I still need to trim and square up half of them.  I can find a use for them down the road.







 Then the ruthless work, make that fun began!  Any idea what I mean?
   I still had strings and bits in 3 bins and I wanted more control, so I began tossing.  Not over my shoulder like Eleanor Burns would do on TV, but into the trash.  All those small bits and ends, all the really ugly fabrics---where do they come from----fabric too frayed to use.  All gone.  I only saved pieces long enough--6'' or more--and fabrics I liked.  There was miles of one fabric and it all went away.


   Now, I feel in control.  One bin for dark colors, and one bin for light values.   I did keep some triangles that work good for the corners.  But the strings are reduced and I feel better for it.
And I am strung out after this.

  Of course, we all know that fabric bunnies will nest in there and reproduce abundantly.  Every quilt or project I complete, creates more strips and strings.  Does it work that way for you too?

What ever you stitch, enjoy it.
Happy stitching.

14 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Purging is a good thing, getting rid of what you will likely never use leaves room for those fabric bunnies, LOL!! I know what you mean about finding stuff, squirrel!!

Mary said...

Yes, I am well acquainted with the fabric bunnies. I need to do a sorting and organizing too. The discoveries might slow down my urge to shop.

Ray and Jeanne said...

Oh those clean outs! Not fun to do but love when they are done. And those fabric bunnies - would you please cage them so they stay at your house?!! ~Jeanne

Gene Black said...

Ha ha..yes every time I do a "clean out/reorg" I find things that need worked on or some such.
I am like a dog when it sees a squirrel - I go offtrack and follow the squirrel and often stand there barking at the base of the tree.

---"Love" said...

Hate to admit it, but I'm guilty as charged! ---"Love"

Diane said...

Yes, yes it does work that way for me too! I'm proud of you for being brave enough to tackle it though. I'm sure its time for me to do the same. Happy weekend to you!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Not only does the fabrics breed, but, so do the sewing machines ;) You got lots done.

Nicki said...

It must feel really great to get more organized. I really need to go through my bins & at the very least re-fold & arrange them. I have been know to scramble the bins up looking for certain fabrics & before long they are a mess. I'm learning to like string quilts more this year & might just make up some blocks for "something in the future".

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

It is great that you found some projects to finish. I hope I can do the same.
It feels good to organize scraps and stash.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Well-done! All of it! I need to chuck my scraps I think. All of 'em. Are they really worth keeping when I use just a tiny bit here and there? Maybe a goal: what I don't use by the end of every year GOES!?

Janet O. said...

Those experiences leave me exhausted mentally and physically, but also feeling lighter and recharged. Good for you!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Congratulations, you did a lot of hard, time sucking, mind numbing things. Mine have piled up and I feel overwhelmed. Love all the things you did including throwing away the uglies. You are my hero today.

Louise said...

It always feel so good to have that kind of sorting and purging finished! Now your space and your fabric are tidy and organized and ready for creative fun :)

Mystic Quilter said...

Your post is very timely!! You have helped me come to a decision about all the boxes of bits and pieces tucked away all through my sewing room. I am only going to hang on the strips, strings, squares etc that I really, really like and know that are 'me'. I have just re-organised placement of sewing cabinets, cubbies and huge tubs full of scraps, now it's on to a ruthless sort out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...