Thursday, November 29, 2018

Wrapping up the month and a new block

   Things have settled down and I actually have been sewing a little bit.  Over the last week I have had several emails checking on me---thank you---and a couple of emails sharing projects.




   Lesley had emailed me  back in the spring this year about the heart design I had used in the strip pieced watercolor tutorial. 
  She followed the tutorial and  used 6'' blocks.  This is her design in progress. She wanted it a bit larger, so she added more blocks.











   And the photo of the finished quilt on the bed!  I think she did a wonderful job and turned this design into her own.








  Then I heard from Nirosha, who is from Sri Lanke, and is interested in making a water color quilt too.  She said she was not sure she could do it with her basic skills.  She included photos of a quilt she made from dresses she never wore.
   I don't think she needs to worry about her skills, as that piecing looks very good to me :)   And a second photo shows the lovely floral print on the back.  I hope she saves the scraps for a watercolor project.  Her eye for design is impressive and I like that she is self motivated to try.



 

And in my sewing room.......

  I have begun joining the parts of the leader and ender Jewel Box Star together.  And today I hope to sew them together  in rows.  It is not large, probably 36'' by 48''.  Small for me, but with borders it will be a good throw. 







   And then I uncovered these blocks....along with about 12 more sets of strips ready to sew.  This is from about 3 years ago, I know.
  The blocks are about 9'' unfinished, so I may work on getting this very scrappy  Scrappy Trips done. ...or at least turned into a top.






     I was looking for some very easy sewing/cutting  to do, when I ran across this design on Pinterest.     It is being referred to as Chandelier quilt block.   It looks like a string of beads to me.
  I went to EQ7 and found a block called Uneven 9 Patch that worked perfect for me.  I just eliminated the color in two opposing corners.
     I kept the size simple to use up what I already have cuts of....2'' strips/squares, and 31/2'' squares.  Works fine for me, even if it is not the exact size or whatever in the modern pattern.  This version will be scrappy.

   A little sewing, a little baking, those are my plans for the month to end the year.
Happy stitching.

14 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

So good to hear you are doing better and able to spend some time stitching again. I think a lot of us are working on small, easy to accomplish projects at this time of year. It's a good feeling to not have anything with a deadline for a few weeks. I love the way the jewel box blocks look when set together the way you have done.

Ray and Jeanne said...

It's wonderful to hear that you are doing better and sewing some. You have influenced many of us with your watercolor designs and tutorials and I enjoy seeing what others are making with your designs. I look forward to seeing your Jewel Box Star. Have a great December! ~Jeanne

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Happy to hear you are feeling a bit better. It is lovely to have people share their work that you have inspired. Your Jewel Box stars are going to have such a lovely soft look. Enjoy your Holiday time and just take it slow and easy.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love, love the Jewel Box! Neat Scrappy trips. Mine is undone. Trying to get a comfort quilt quilted, one more row of blocks! So good to see your post!

Janet O. said...

Good to see you sewing again!
The photos you received from others show some interesting projects--the watercolor heart is soft and pretty.
And Nirosha has done a beautiful job with her "basic skills".
I love the Jewel Box Star block!
I just saw this string of beads design on another blog about 5 minutes ago. Is someone trying to tell me something?
You devised a good way to make your blocks, and I look forward to seeing the progress.

Gene Black said...

Lesley did a great job on that quilt.
And I am also glad that you are feeling energetic enough to be sewing again.

MissPat said...

Happy to see that you are able to do a little sewing, even if it doesn't seem like much. It's proof that you never let things get you down for very long. Hope you continue to make gentle progress. I like the Jewel Box Stars. I didn't start that one. I did take my watercolor quarter log cabin to quilt retreat and got more done, but I'm a ways from having enough blocks to make even a small quilt.
Pat

Mary said...

Leslie did a great job. One day soon I need to go exploring in my studio. I'm sure to discover some treasures that are ready to mature.

Louise said...

Hooray for a little sewing and baking! Just enough to be fun and not too fattening, right? :) Thanks for sharing the work of folks who learn from you. It's so interesting so see how your ideas go out into the wild and grow into more beautiful quilts!

Nicki said...

So glad you are feeling good enough to sew & bake these days. I really like to read about how you have inspired others to quilt. Looks like the new quilters are off to a great start. Your string of beads blocks are great looking & will make a pretty quilt. Of course the Jewel Box Star quilt will be a real eye catcher when it's done. Happy sewing to you this week!

Sherry said...

I love your quilts. Watercolor quilts are not something that I have ever done. . .but you have tempted me several times.

But, you had me at the beaded idea. I took part in a blog hop and the block I used reminded me of a beaded curtain. If you are interested here is the link: https://bookshookssticksetc.blogspot.com/2018/04/30-blocks-in-30-days-today-is-my-day.html

I still have not completed my quilt. . . but it is on "the list".

Looking forward to seeing how your project grows.

Thank you for the eye candy.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Good to see you posting again, glad you are doing better. I hope to meet you next year, as your guild has inquired about my coming to see them.

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm so pleased to hear you're feeling a little better Debbie. I'm also pleased you found those beautiful Scrappy Trip blocks, they are gorgeous, I do hope you're able to make more of these blocks.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

I really like that jewel box star--can't wait to see more of it!
I think I'm taking the plunge--the EQ8 is on my Christmas list. Please tell me it will be worth it? (I think it might be too late anyway! LOL)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...