Sunday, December 30, 2018

Looking back and ahead

 2018 draws to a close and finds me with few things done and lots of ideas.  So that is a good thing.  I went thru and added to my page under the banner for  2018 Quilts.  So it is up to date with my finishes.....I had more starts than finishes.  A lot of piecing done because it is easier on my joints.

     Looking back, my Garden in a Box is my favorite.    Simple, and unassuming.  Contrasting floral fabrics make up each box and are a good display of my collection of fabrics.    It is my nap quilt right now and has been washed several times to total softness. 


   Distant View ....I love it too.  This design had been on my want to make list for a long time.  The trellis effect always enchants me. 


   The On a Roll quilt was donated to the drive for quilts for the victims of  Hurricane Florence.









  So what is left hanging around, left undone? 
I began the 2018 Leader and Ender challenge, called Jewel Box Star.   It is now sewn into a small top and awaiting a border.  I have an idea for it, but that remains to be done.








 

The oldest UFO/still in progress/ found hidden while cleaning out.....a Scrappy Trips.  This is what I call a "kitchen sink" project.  What ever fabric is long enough, wide enough gets put into it.  That means uglies and all.  Once they are sewn and stitched no one will really notice anyway.  LOL.   I sew a few strips together, press, and wait for a good day to cut apart and restitch the stratas.  So this may last a while longer. 






  The Chandelier Bead block  is still on the design wall.    I add a few more as I get the urge.  Once the stack I have cut are sewn, I will dig thru the stash and find more to add.  I love the simple look.  I think this would be a great donation quilt to get made and have on hand.    Again no rush on it, and I am happy for easy piecing. 









   And under the needle are the Garlic Knot blocks.  I am quilting an all over swirl pattern in the center portion.  I will do something else in the simple border.    I manage some sessions and hope to finish this up in the next week. 


New ideas for this year......
  I have an itch to try a collage type piece.  Not large and not a mass produced pattern.  Probably a floral bouquet to start with.  I know it takes  a certain type of floral print to bring this off.

  A braid quilt.....one of my favorite design patterns.  I am thinking a throw size rather than a wall hanging which I have done.

  And that should hold me for the next few months. 

2018 taught me to appreciate the journey as you never know where the road will take you.  Celebrate your successes.  Let go of the worry.  Expect the unexpected.  Find joy in all you do.  When you get down, look up.  Then get up.
Happy New Year....happy stitching. 

 

20 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I haven't made a braid quilt, but, years ago I was part of a Round Robin, and I used the braid technique for one of the borders. One of these days I'll do it again. Lots of nice quilts. Take lots of breaks from machine quilting so you don't get over tired.

---"Love" said...

What beautiful quilts you've made in 2018! The trellis in the Distant View fascinates me too, and the delicate blending of the florals inside the blocks is incredible. I'll be watching to see what you create in 2019! ---"Love"

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You have made some beauties with the floral fabrics. I always enjoy seeing them. I hope 2019 holds more healing for you and some fun along the way making your quilts.

Mary said...

I loved checking out your 2018 quilts tab. You are a master at choosing and using fabrics. I love watching your projects evolve.

Quilting Babcia said...

You've accomplished a lot in 2018! Each one of those gorgeous watercolor creations takes a lot of time and concentration to get just the right effect! Every good wish for you in 2019!

Julierose said...

Beautiful quilts--love that garden in a box--
I have made a braid (or what I called a "Bunkhouse " quilt) and they
are a lot of fun to sew and use up a lot of strips..
hugs and Happy New Year Julierose

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I think you had a very fantastic year for quilting even with your health issues. If piecing is what makes you happy right now, enjoy it. I think we all break down to that very basic at times - it's relaxing, it's artistic, it's productive.

Linda Swanekamp said...

You have been a constant inspiration to me this past year- in dealing with my own medical issues, in floral collecting, in ideas for quilts, in the quarter log cabin challenge, and in personal encouraging words. You have succeeded in more than making quilts and I am grateful. Thank you. I actually sewed 8 quarter log cabins before Christmas bringing my total to 38.

Mystic Quilter said...

You've certainly worked your magic with the florals, both finished and works in progress!!
It always seems to be the case that we have lots of ideas ready for the next year but some seem to fall by the wayside now and again. I'm still jotting my ideas down and hope to post tomorrow evening, until then wishing you a Healthy and Happy New Year!

Gene Black said...

I really like the "when you get down, look up. then get up."
That is good advice for us all.

I need to look back and see how many finishes I had this year.. I am thinking not many.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Beautiful quilts! Wishing you a blessed and Happy New Year with lots of fun time. Thanks for all you share and inspire.

Barbara said...

Beautiful quilts. Lovely work. Happy New Year!

LA Paylor said...

yes... the unexpected... I love your work. So much beauty. I want to do a braid quilt too, and just finishing up my scrappy trips Christmas quilt. I want to do the chandelier for RSC this year. Thanks for the inspiration.
Your perseverance despite physical limitations is inspiring to me. Happy new year!
LeeAnna

MissPat said...

Debbie, I always find such inspiration on your blog, from the projects I want to try like Garden in a box and The Chandelier bead block to your perseverance in living with your circumstances. Your philosophy stated in the last paragraph applies to many us who need to be reminded that we need to make the most of whatever life deals us. Thank you for never giving up and for sharing your talents with us.
Happy New Year.
Pat

Louise said...

How nice to see some of your 2018 pieces again. Like visiting with old friends :)

Happy New Year, Debbie!

Ray and Jeanne said...

Your quilts are gorgeous! I love Distant View. I hove lots of UFOs to finish in 2019. Our house guests left a little while ago; I finished PT 11 days ago; I am now ready to quilt! Today is a little cleaning, laundry, and resting. I think I'll begin the new year quilting. I like your 2018 'life lessons'; they are spot on. Happy New Year Debbie! May 2019 be a great one. ~Jeanne

Janet O. said...

Beautiful quilts, and wonderful wisdom!
Your Chandelier Beads really intrigues me. So pretty!
Wishing you a better year in 2019, but I know you will make the best of whatever comes your way.

Diane said...

As usual your quilts are beautiful. I love following your journey. Happy quilting.

Nicki said...

2018 was a beautifully productive year for you considering all you have been through. I love looking back at your finished quilts by clicking on your banner tabs. You are my inspiration! {{{HUGS}}}

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

I think I agree with your choice of favorite—and perfect for a nap quilt as I find it soothing to look at. Now, for the to-finishes it’s a toss-up between the garlic knot and the chandelier quilts. I love them both but maybe something in their finishes will help me decide? Happy “enjoying the process” and we’ll enjoy watching!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...