Saturday, February 9, 2019

Bargello comfort quilt

    About three years ago just before I had my extended hospital visit/stay/endurance time....lol....I had lunch with a friend.  Jennifer brought along some "quilt blocks" she had been given by a friend.  The story goes that the friend's Mom had recently died, and the daughter discovered this unfinished  quilt.  But no directions or anything with it.  Jennifer brought it to me for my "expert" opinion.
  She had several width of fabric sections of strata that had been sewn.  The  fabrics blended nicely, and I knew what was intended.  It was the beginning of a bargello.  I attempted to explain it over our meal, but how to you tell a new  quilter about bargello?  Once home, I found an article and instruction for a small bargello wall hanging, which I passed on to her.


Made by Jennifer

 Fast forward to this week.
 I had a call and note from Jennifer and she wanted to share the finished project.  The friend has been diagnosed with breast cancer and Jennifer wanted her to have a comfort quilt at this time.  Want to see what she did?


  Her friend recognized it as the one her Mom had been making, and now she sleeps covered in love each night.    Jennifer said it was worth the 3 days of quilting and 6 hour trip to deliver it to her.
  This was an amazing job.  She got wonderful flow and movement in the design.  A supreme effort and amazing quilt!






  In the sewing room, it has been quiet as I have been going thru rounds of doctor appointments.  I survived the bone density tests, and the mammogram but came home both days tense and in need of a long nap.
   I also went thru the appointment for the colonoscopy......I tried my best to talk them out of it, but with an abnormal screen no one would listen to me.  The ordeal is next week with the liquid diet beginning Monday.   I put up two days of meals  in the freezer for Sir Old Man  since I don't want to cook when not eating.  We bought the extra drinks for electrolytes, and etc.  The doctor's concern is my blood pressure dropping, and I am concerned about the anesthesia.   I just have to put my  warrior face and armor on and get thru it, right?
 
  I have these projects to work on---

  •  Jewel Box Stars  project, sewn into top and ready for a border.  
  •  The Chandelier Bead quilt---ready to pin for quilting.  
  •  The Scrappy Trips project---still making blocks.  

 And that makes three...my limit, or self imposed limit.  No new big project until I get one of these done up.  I selected a tonal fabric to work into the border for the Jewel Box Star, so I hope to work on that over the weekend for some quiet sewing time.
  Sew on until next time.  Happy stitching.

18 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Hang in there!! These tests are important. Hope you get back to sewing again soon, putting thread into fabric is wonderful therapy.

Ray and Jeanne said...

The bargello comfort quilt is fantastic! I am so glad your friend was able to complete it for her friend.
It would have been a special gift any time but under the current circumstances, it is a perfect gift. I'm so glad you were able to help her understand the bargello. Another week and this round of medical procedures should be behind you and then you can sew in peace. I'm praying for good outcomes. Take care. ~Jeanne

Gene Black said...

Of course I looked at the picture first. I really thought you had pieced that because of the excellent use of value. She did a great job finishing the quilt. (A good instructor/advisor always helps.)

Ugh....those tests are no fun, but you will get through it. You are in my prayers for a good outcome.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Gorgeous quilt! I am right there with you- I have to make a colonoscopy apppt and have been putting it off. The last time I had one, I was so sick before and during. I also am concerned about anesthesia and my heart. Haven't quite got the courage up yet to make an appt. How come they can't come up with a better way than drinking all that gunk and having it wreak havoc on your insides? Seems way drastic to me.

Mary said...

Prayers for good results on all those tests and an easy go of it. The comfort quilt your friend completed is wonderful.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

The bargello is beautiful!!
Oh what a week you're going to have. :o( Hang in there and we'll all be praying for you, esp for peace as you go through it all.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

What a fantastic job jennifer did on that quilt. I'm sorry for all your tests and hope all come out well. I made my consult appt for my next colonoscopy but try not to think about it. 10 years ago as I was leaving the first trip for the exam the nurse said see you in 10 years and I said-no you won't. It was awful. Hopefully, at a new place and dr it won't be so bad. yeah, right. Anyway, best wishes to you and I look forward to your quilting! mary

Nicki said...

Jennifer's bargello quilt turned out beautiful & I'm so glad you were able to explain to her what a bargello is & supply her with additional info so she could make it for her friend in need.
So sorry you are having to deal with tests again & I will be praying for good results & an easy time for you.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

She did a beautiful job and what a wonderful gift. Prayers and gentle hugs for you.

MissPat said...

Incredible bargello (she's a beginner?) and good luck next week. I've been putting off my colonoscopy because the prep work is so stressful.
Pat

Quilting Babcia said...

What a gorgeous quilt! Lots of hugs and prayers for your next round of tests. I'm refusing colonoscopy until they develop a much less invasive kind of test. My doctor knows better than to even ask anymore, just hands me the sample cards to take care of at home and take back to the lab.

Janet O. said...

The Bargello quilt is beautiful! You assistance was obviously very effective. And what a timely gift for the recipient, to feel her Mother's hug while dealing with her cancer. A lovely story, Debbie.
I wish you well with your colonoscopy. Will pray extra hard for you.
I admire you for sticking to your limit of three. I should go in my sewing room and put away 5 or 6 other projects and follow your example.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Jennifer's quilt is beautiful and how nice you could help her. I went through my "Bargello years" back in the 1990s and haven't done one since. After seeing this I think I might have to make a wallhanging size one.

I hear you about the tests, exhausting!

Auntiepatch said...

Beautiful, just beautiful!

Vivian said...

What a lovely gift, Jennifer did a great job! And you know what all of us quilters are thinking -- so is she "hooked" now?!?! Yeah, the prep for a colonscopy is far more arduous than the actual test. Your lovely projects will keep your spirits up and help get you through this one too!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Jennifer did a good job on the quilt. Good luck with the test.

Louise said...

I love the Bargello quilt story! Truly a gift of love from across time. I'm holding a positive thought that your procedure will go well, with no abnormalities in sight!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

She did a wonderful job on the Bargello. Hope all is going well so you have some sewing/quilting time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...