Sunday, February 3, 2019

Why Knot?

   
  I began working on the garlic knot blocks last Spring sometime.  The pattern is also called Arrowhead.   I took my clue  from Bonnie Hunter's column in Quiltmaker.  

  I had tons of 2'' strips already cut, so  it was easy to chop off the 2'' squares needed.   I kept the fabric for the knot in a tonal or more solid appearing fabric.  The center accent squares were picked out of my 2'' squares in the floral stash box.  Then a variety of lights---cream, tan, white and beige were selected to use. 





  I sorted the squares, clipped them together and tossed them into a bowl to work on. 
 I used a 4 patch method for joining my 2'' squares rather than rows as often described for assembling this block. 








  My blocks were 6 1/2'' unfinished.   More than anything I tried to pay attention to the value used..... to have good contrast. 
  My layout was a simple block to block straight setting.  The small trim around the center is a flange of folded 1'' fabric.  It is attached before the border.  It sort of looks like a piping has been added, but it is there for an accent to stop the design.   






  I cut the border  strip 4 1/2'' wide. 

  I like carrying my fabric, color, or bits into the border.   The border strips are cut in half, and the extra fabric strips are added between them sections.   I like the fact that the joining seams are part of the design in this method.  (Rather than cutting the border strip and joining on the diagonal.)   In this full photo you can see the different lengths that happen in the border sections. 










 The garlic knot block turned into the "Why Knot?" quilt.  The play on words is a private joke from my youth.
  the quilting is an overall swirling design that I tend to use all the time. 
   The finish quilt size is 55'' by 67''.

Happy stitching. 

14 comments:

Mary said...

The flange in the border is the perfect addition! Beautiful finish.

Toni Macomb said...

Your version is lovely! Love the border idea. Thank you! I am doing one also and yesterday got all the blocks sewn into rows. Today I will complete the quilt top. I used 2 1/2 inches as I always have plenty of those. Mine will be a charity quilt for Quilts from the Heart.

sue s said...

I've been collecting florals to begin some of your designs, but the garlic know is on my list too, so thanks for the hints here. Yours is very nice!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

I have so many squares cut already this needs to be my next "on the side" quilt. Thanks for the info; will be good to refer back to if/when I get that one going. (Next year's theme may have to be "scraps only"!)

Quilting Babcia said...

Thanks so much for your tutorial and insights. This is such a beautiful quilt, and so perfect for all of us who have overflowing scrap bins, and who doesn't?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is such a fun block to make and you ended up with a beautiful quilt. I always love the way you add a bit of color into the borders.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Your title made me chuckle! Hah! I love your description. I really like the method of clipping all the pieces by block so you can start and stop easily without losing your place. Each block is then real special. Thank you for explaining and sharing! The photos are great.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've not used flange that way (yet). It looks good on the quilt. Nice quilt!

Nicki said...

Thanks for all your detailed information. I really appreciate how you give us so much more than just a finished quilt. So many times I see a quilt & wonder...how did they do that...why did they do that...& you never leave me guessing or wondering. The Why Knot? quilt turned out so very, very pretty.

Barb Neiwert said...

This is the perfect scrap solution, and something I could work on a little at a time. Yours turned out to be beautiful! I, like the others, like the flange inset.

Janet O. said...

It is beautiful, Debbie!
I think the flange did its job well. And Why Knot use a quilting design that works for you? (Couldn't resist.)

Mystic Quilter said...

A beautiful finish Debbie, so pleased you have been able to work on this a little at a time with all you have to deal with.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful work Debbie and the border is perfect! Thanks for sharing.

Elaine Adair said...

This turned out lovely. You did a great job with your colors - I suppose there is some fiddling, choosing so many combinations but the end result is beautiful. mmmm, another must-do for me, who also loves scrappy quilts. Thanks for inspiration. elaineadairpieces.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...