Friday, December 14, 2012

Scrappy shaded block from 5 " squares



    This is the block from my scrappy project from 5 inch squares.  Each block takes 4 sections.....2 of the dark/light HSTs and two of the 4 patch sections---one in light values and the other in dark values.   Each unit is 4 1/2" unfinished.
   Lay out the units into a block and join together.
 The block will be 8 1/2 " unfinished.









    Here is one block sewn.  It is a great illustration of value.  Notice the rosy square in the light area 4 patch......it is really a strong medium, but by placing it among the light fabrics, it appears lighter.  And  it adds just a bit of interest in the light values.   If placed in the dark half,  it stands  out as much  too light.
  
   Easy Street update:   I got caught up on the mystery from Bonnie Hunter.  And then what does she do?  The next step involves more "wings".....I am going to fall back to the optional no-waste method using squares rather than those tiny triangles.    I'll only need 8 of the large squares for this step!  Sounds better than 100 tiny triangles to me.  
   Sir Old Man cooked breakfast this morning!  Banana waffles were excellent.....and a movie this afternoon.  I better check the calendar, as it must be a special day.  Happy stitching.    

3 comments:

  1. Cute blocks - I would rather do the no-waste method too - sitting this one out as I just don't have the time (and I didn't like the color combo). Maybe when I see the final layout I will change my mind, but have a full plate for 2013 already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A special day? Someone's birthday? Or anniversary??? Hmmm???

    Or is Sir Old Man just a sweetie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should I be wishing you a happy birthday? Or is it happy anniversary?

    ReplyDelete

Love questions and comments! But no anonymous comments accepted any longer. Send an email instead. Thanks for stopping by to visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...