Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A blue sky day

    Finally, the sun was shinning when I woke up this morning.  We actually were blessed with blue skies.....no gray in sight.  It has been weeks since that happened.  Of course, that means the heat  has set in....we just need the soggy, boggy ground to dry out a bit.  So we will take the heat for a while.

  I finished up the last 4 blocks needed for the Buzz Saw quilt border.......I have to keep my part of the bargain, don't I?   Actually, this part is the easy part....it is just so dang big and awkward to work with right now.   That is why I am dragging my feet on it.








   Over the weekend, I messed around with the tension on the Tiara.....a lot of trial and error and not a lot of improvement.  I just wasn't getting the good stitch I wanted with certain threads.  All I did was make myself frustrated, until  I came to the conclusion I was a complete idiot and did not know what I was doing. Almost 40 years of sewing experience and I could not get the tension set.   So, I went on-line and began to hunt down some help.
    I ran across an excellent video by Handi-quilter called TNT---as in thread, needles, tension.
   Aha!   I proved my point.....I was attempting to solve my problem backwards!   The correct way to set the tension on these things is to start with the bobbin tension.  Get it right and you are half way to home base.  Then you set the top tension to it.    I watched the video a second time and then to the machine.  Within 10 minutes, I was pleased/ happy / smiling----balanced stitches, at last.

 A tip I also ran across.....this helps prevent "drag" when machine quilting that happens when the quilt sandwich does not slide over the table edge smoothly.  It is perfect for the Tiara but should/could help even when using a domestic machine that is recessed into a table with a lip edge.
   Use the Q-snap quilting (hand quilting) frame cover on the edge of the table top to create a nice rounded edge.  I slipped 2 of the 4  pieces onto my table front edge.   Perfect!   A good re-cycle and I am glad  I never threw that set up away.....pack rat that I am.

Happy stitching.

6 comments:

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Isn't it great when the internet comes up with a solution? I really appreciate those to take time to make helpful videos... I watched several before I painted my quilting room and they really made a difference in my confidence and results!

Mary said...

I'm so glad your weather is improving and you were able to solve your tension quandary!

Janet O. said...

Yeah, I sometimes forget to check the bobbin first when I have trouble. Makes a difference, doesn't it? : )
Love your tip with the snap frame on the edge of the table, but I took mine back to the store. Wonder if I can find one at a thrift store. : )

Impera Magna said...

I don't know how I survived pre-internet... I really don't. One can find the answer to anything online.

Thanks for the "snap frame on the front of sewing table" tip... I'll have to see what I can adapt for mine.

Dana Gaffney said...

Congratulations on finally seeing the sun, hopefully it will dry out quickly. That fix for the table is a great idea, I don't have that "whatever it is", but I wonder if light PVC pipe or some other pipe that can be cut will work. My quilts are always getting hung up on one sharp corner. I'm going to drive David crazy now, but I'll tell him to send you his thanks :)

Lynne said...

Don't you love finding creative or practical solutions to the challenges thrown at you? Fantastic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...