Tuesday, March 25, 2014

In production mode

 The last two days, I have been in production mode.  Several almost finished projects are destined for the finish category.
    So what sparked this burst?  Inspiration for a new project!  I won't let myself begin a new adventure until I clear out the unfinished business. Remember my Rule of 3.  It is part of my way to keep those UFOs under control. So with three lined up, I am out of control!  Time to toughen up and finish some things.
   OH....and my new bobbin thread arrived!  Aurifil 60 wt. bobbin thread was a new item on Fabric.com that I saw this weekend.  A quilter can never have enough bobbin thread.




 So production mode began and now.......
   I have the three lined up.  Each with bindings cut, labels printed, and ready to have borders added.  I also cut the hanging sleeve for the two wall hangings.  With the assembly line set up, I can sew on one without stopping to cut or hunt for binding fabric or whatever.   So for the rest of the week I will be tackling these three while I dream /plan / envision the next one.

 

One of the three is Mid-Winter Dreams.....I was working on this string quilt during our super cold days  in January and finally decided on the quilting.    
   Sometimes the quilting motif  holds me up.  I often wait until the fabric tells me what to quilt or a good idea hits.  In this case, the main quilt was so busy with the floral prints, I knew it would be an allover stipple or swirl.    I settled on the  big swirls for the center, and a smaller vine swirl for the contrasting narrow border. That left the outer border.  I selected a feathered swirl for that.  I thought it would be a good example for classes to show how one motif can be used in multiple ways.      


  And my inspiration.....next project.....triggered  by this pin on Pinterest.    It is a strata quilt based on value---of course, you knew that was coming!   Originally inspiration from Maaike Bakker's book Strip Pieced Quilts----which I do not have, and it is long out of production.  But luckily, Leanne offers great tutorial on her blog.  You can find it here.   I plan on using leftover strips from my bin for the first one and then begin accumulating enough strips for one done in batiks.  I mean, why plan one when you can plan two.....right?    So if I am quiet for a few days, you know I am stitching.
Happy stitching.

7 comments:

  1. Good luck on sticking to your '3' rule. I need to buckle down and get some quilting finishes so the pile goes down. That is a lot of straight line quilting on that inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, why did you have to show that new quilt idea??? I want to make one (or 2 too) and I already have several bins of 2" strips........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Therein lies a quilter's quandary. There is always one more new technique or beautiful quilt to be made. This strata project looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so organized, Debbie! I feel I should hang my head in shame.
    That is a beautiful job on that border quilting!! Can you teach me that? : 0

    ReplyDelete
  5. That string quilt is beautiful and the border quilting just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are soooo good at sticking to your UFO/new project rules! I'm working on finishing up a couple of UFOs as well but have gotten sidetracked in to making zipper bags for the "quick finish" thrill.... however, it is very tempting to start a new project now you've shared the blended scrappy quilt. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt and quilting are fabulous.I want to finish some UFO/old project too and so far I've only finished one quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Love questions and comments! No reply bloggers....if you have something to say, please include email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...