Saturday, September 5, 2015

A watercolor and something new

   Pardon my senior moment........I can't remember if I even showed this watercolor banner  in progress.  It has been on the design wall for a while waiting for the border to be cut and added.
  The inspiration was  a captured moment in the garden as a butterfly winged its way past me.  The sunlight danced on his wings as he headed to the blooming lilies dripping with nectar.    
One Moment finished at 16'' by 32''.



But I promised something new......





  At least, it is a new style for me.  I wanted to use a corner label that is attached along with the binding.   I usually write "a whole book" on my quilt labels, but on simple/small projects the corner label is a great idea.

   I spent forever trying to figure out how to position the label for printing so I could get the needed square.  My brain was not working that day.   More senior moments occurred until I realized I was making this so much harder than it was.   LOL....... I printed a regular label.

  Then scraps and strips were added to each side to make it large enough....I added a big chunk of muslin as the top piece (since it would be hidden anyway).   At last, I could cut the label  as a square on point .    The square was then folded in half on the diagonal and top stitched on the fold.  It was ready to add to the corner and bind.  
   Yep, I was exhausted after re-inventing the wheel.   It was time for a cup of coffee before I tried to learn another new trick.    Happy stitching.

12 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

I wonder how much time I've used trying to get my quilt labels to print on point - it never occurred to me to print and add the triangular sides and bottom. THANKS! Love your watercolor quilt - it is gorgeous. ~Jeanne

Dana Gaffney said...

What a good idea, so much better than some of the other's I've seen. Thanks for doing the work for us, LOL.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You shared the in progress, but not the finish. I do corner lables, but this is something different and thank you for sharing.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Maybe I would label more pieces if I follow your lead and do a corner label. Sometimes just hand writing the label with permanent pen works best for me.

Cheryl said...

Oh My ! I love this banner ,Table top or wall hanging with the butterfly! It is so beautiful! and most of all I love your corner Label, I hope this will modivate me to do more labels ! Seems I am always in a hurry to get them done, I forget to make labels until I am done,I like the idea of sewing them into the quilt like this .

sunny said...

Beautiful quilt! I bought a book of watercolor quilts a couple of years ago, but I haven't braved starting one yet. I don't think I have any appropriate fabrics, and I'm not quite sure how to start. One day . . . . .

Janet O. said...

One Moment is gorgeous, Debbie. And you created a lovely butterfly!
Isn't it funny how we make things more difficult for ourselves sometimes?
Your corner label is much prettier than mine. I just do a plain square and fold it. : )

Nicki said...

Your banner is beautiful. The border really sets the whole piece off. I love your label. I "sort of" copied that idea from you for one of my doll quilts except it's not on point. You will see it soon when I send my last 2 little quilts to you. Thanks for showing us a new way to do things.

Auntiepatch said...

Genius!

Susan said...

Love your quilt and the way you made the label!

Quilting Babcia said...

I don't recall seeing the butterfly watercolor banner before, but it is gorgeous. Tried making a triangular corner label awhile back but just hand wrote the info with pigma pen. I do like the way they lend a professional look to the finish.

Jasmine said...

I LOVE corner labels! So nice to see another way to do it. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...