Tuesday, September 8, 2015

After a few days......

This may be long.  It has taken me a few days to get my thoughts straight to make sense out of this.

  In a post in January,  I mentioned that I was changing my focus on this blog to put forth the design process in my content.  I was committing to sharing my thought process, the trial and error things that happen in the piecing and quilting.  I wanted to share and freely give instructions on techniques and methods that I used.   A finished quilt is great/wonderful/exciting.......but the journey to get there presents more opportunities for inspiration to others. That is what I wanted.

  Within a couple of weeks, I began the Friday Finds posts.  It was intended to share interesting projects, tutorials, ideas of others, and fun things too.I love putting the spotlight on others and the things they do.  I admitted to snitching photos from Jasmine at Quilt Kisses, and Sharon at Vroomans Quilts.  Both were forgiving and gave approval to share some of their ideas and projects.
Wanda at Exuberant Color has always been gracious and inspirational  when I borrowed her ideas and explored the world of color and value.  Connie at Freemotion by the river    has also been a big source of patterns and techniques.  I have shared techniques from various manufacture's website  from their huge store of free patterns and layouts.   I have directed you to Quiltville,  and Patsy Thompson  Designs.     Both were wonderful about letting me  share their designs......and I gladly linked to them.

   It was after the event of last week that I questioned the wisdom of pursuing the Friday Finds.  Was I setting myself up for another crisis?   Was I going to destroy my blog and  loose that safe place I enjoy so much?    Would it be worth it?  Would anyone notice?     By the comments and emails, I see that Friday Finds is worth the effort and it is inspiring to many.   I will pick it up again and proceed with care to share a lot of  good things.

     Pinterest is loaded with all sorts of information and inspiration.   You could follow my boards or not....and find a wonderland of boards that interest you, and reflect your style.   I encouraged everyone to follow the links, and to pin projects from the original source....not from me.

   So what led to this......while we were visiting Sir Old Man's cousins in the mountains, I had an over whelming urge to check my email.  But I did not.  The feeling persisted, getting stronger, and yet I waited until we returned home to check.  Sure enough an email was there that made me want to arm for battle.  I wanted to put on full quilter battle gear.....pull out the scissors, change the rotary blade,  and find my sharp stiletto.  Fortunately, I am blessed with a calming influence.  Sir Old Man sat quietly by letting me rant, and listening to my discourse.  Then he was supportive in whatever I decided to do.

   The email was over a tutorial and post from 2011 claiming copyright violation.  Up front, I will say I did not use any photos or instructions from the pattern in question.  My own words, my photos, my hand drawn pattern, my sizing, my small project......were used in the posts and tutorial.
   The technique has been around  and can be found in older publications, even on youtube.    I could not link or refer anyone to this person's blog or website because  I could not find one.  Yet rather than place my blog in jeopardy,  I  acquiesced and complied with the request to remove the  tutorial and post.

    Why do this?  This person felt my tutorial/post was depriving them of possible income.  While I gain no monetary benefit from my blog, it is very important to me, and preserving it was my foremost concern.    The result is a few "dead links" from pins on Pinterest.  For that I apologize.

  All this leads to the copyright issue.....a can of worms I detest with a passion.  Like Bonnie Hunter said in one post....and I paraphrase her example......a nine patch on point is still a nine patch, and it is universal.   Our society has allowed the world view to over take common sense.   Yes, you need to protect your intellectual property but we can't claim ownership of universal things.   Most quilters in blogland seem to get this.   I hope to end this topic here, please. As my daughter says.....the horse is dead.  Quit beating it.

   Photos.....those belong to me if I took them.  I strongly urge bloggers to mark their photos, especially of their quilts, with their blog name at least.  If it is a photo of someone else's quilt, I try to add their name, like I do for the doll quilts now.  It's a good thing to do....but each one can do as they like.   If my photo pops up on someone else's blog at least  I will know it and so will everyone else.  Actually,  a link back to me is fine.

  And finally, "no-reply" commenters......please link your email or include your email addy when you ask a question.  If you comment on a post older than 2 weeks, it usually just gets deleted.    I am always glad to answer serious questions, so if you want to comment on them, send an email instead with your questions.

  A favorite quote sums up how I try to live and give....
  Thomas Jefferson said "He who receives an idea from me, receives it without lessening me, as he who lights his candle at mine receives light without diminishing me."   That sounds exactly  like what I want to do.  Thanks for sticking with me.   Happy stitching.  

15 comments:

Susan said...

I am saddened to hear you had a problem........ Intellectual property is a thorny issue that many deal with..... The truth is exactly what you stated....... A nine patch is a nine patch...... Your color choices, setting, borders and finishing make it yours...
Not really sure what happened but you seem to have run into one of the un-threaded people in the sewing universe....
I personally want to thank you for your inspiration in my sewing journey.

Nicki said...

Thank you for hanging tight & standing your ground. Your blog is the only one I follow for the shear fact that you are honest, inspiring & encouraging. I don't understand all the ins & outs of copyright laws but to share ideas & techniques & photos of other people's work is what allows me to continue to quilt. I do not think out of the box & am not good with color placement, so to see someone else's beautiful work inspires to me try to make something like that. I hope this is not considered "stealing" a copyright. If I'm not allowed to do that then I will have to give up quilting because it is because of others beautiful color themes, fabric placement, ideas, tutorials & pictures that I get my inspiration. It saddens me to hear that we can't share ideas & patterns, etc. without opposition. I look forward to many, many more years of your encouraging & inspirational & helpful blog. {{{HUGS}}}

Mary said...

This is a very thoughtful post and I am so sorry you encountered a problem. Thank you for deciding to continue onward. I love the Thomas Jefferson quote.

Margie said...

Am so sorry this happened, and I'm like Nicki, I cant do it on my own need help with ideas. I have read your blog for a long time and enjoy!! Thanks

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It saddens me to think you had to go thru such drama - you have been most carefull to acknowledge the source. Encouraging and inspiring is what keeps the quilting art form continueing.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I had a similar encounter and when I showed her the post with variations of the pattern that had been published before she created her pattern, she hadn't seen them and was OK with it. I have seen books come out with a new idea and within months a magazine runs an article by someone else with the same idea. Now whose idea was it? If I read you correctly you couldn't find a link to a blog or website for this person in question so how was anyone going to buy her pattern?

Janet O. said...

I suspected this was what had occurred. I've had a couple of other good blogging friends go through similar things in years past. Funny how some people think they invented the wheel.
Glad you have worked through it and I look forward to many other Friday finds from people of good sense. : )

Dana Gaffney said...

Well said. Just keep doing what you're doing, you've been a huge inspiration to so many of us and those of us who have been following you for years know that you would never step on someone's toes.

Lindah said...

Oh my! I'm sorry you had to go through all that. Hopefully, the other party has learned something that will serve well her and the online quilting community. In the meantime, just know that there are a lot of quilters out there who appreciate you and your blog.

Sheila said...

Good grief. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Please know that I think you are a wonderful, generous person that makes items that provide comfort and warmth for those in need.
















Sylvia Anderson said...

Good morning Debbie! I'm so happy you have decided to move forward with Friday Finds, especially with so many of us who look forward to receiving these e-mail goodies every week. One person does not a war make and like so many before me have said, a nine patch is a nine patch, etc.., no matter which way it faces. We all feel sorry for the mental torment this has caused you, but you should rest easy, knowing that you have always followed the rules and played by the book. It sounds as if someone forgot to put on their Big Girl Panties, along with putting her foot in her mouth! Enough said, all is well,in Quiltland. Hugs lv2bquilting2@comcast.net

Rosyquilter said...

It seems to me that on your Friday finds, you always make it that we have to do the searching to find the actual pattern and/or instructions? You include links that will take us to where we want to go. Surely that is quite appropriate. You are not copying and pasting the instructions for us to use. I wonder if some people live in a small world. To my way of thinking, you send us a link, we follow if we choose and if we like the site, we might end up signing up for their emails and sometimes it is a delight to find a new blog or source of inspiration and for that I thank you although I seem to keep signing up for blogs because of you! My inbox is quite full some days. But it all my own choice, all you do is inspire us and we can choose to follow or ignore, or delete! If I got more traffic on a pattern I had created or made, because of links from other quilters, I would be thrilled! Keep on doing.. you are doing great and appreciate the time you spend finding us fun and interesting projects and ideas.

LINDA said...

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on this crazy topic! I agree with you. I personally appreciate working with people who freely share their ideas without getting all twisted up.

Janet O. said it best, "Funny how some people think they invented the wheel."

Jasmine said...

I'm glad you are continuing with your inspiring posts. I must admit things like this make me nervous sometimes, but I figure I will deal with it if it ever comes up on my own blog.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...