Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Let's Book It progress

   It was pouring down rain--yay!---Sunday afternoon.   A good time for a movie and some stitching.  I set up the Featherweight and clicked on a favorite movie that I had recorded.   Stitching on a classic while watching the classic of all time equals a perfect time.  My movie......Casablanca.  I can't say how many times I have sat through this one, but it is new every time I watch it.   I love the song, know most of the movie lines, and seem to always catch something in it that I have forgotten.

  The project I was working on was actually started in July as a leader/ender project.      I had most of the long vertical rows ready to join, so the leader/ender part was done.  That's why I pulled it out for my current Let's Book It project.




By August, I had about 8 rows pieced together.  My placement is random when joining. I think it creates a lot of movement in this extremely simple design.   Scrap fabrics....anything that was already a 2'' strip went into the mix.   I will join the rows with 1 1/2'' strips.










 And after an afternoon with Bogey, I had all the rows joined.   I added a white strip to the right side of each row---except one.  Then I sewed them together in pairs.  When joining 2 rows,  I pinned the placement of the top and the bottom "brick"......staggering the the row arrangement.  Most rows lined up almost perfect.  Others were a bit off, due probably from my pressing and stretching the fabric some what.


  Now it needs a strip of white to finish it off before I add some border strips.  I am  happy to have made some progress.

I'm  linking to Let's Book It at Vrooman's Quilts It's all about pulling out those saved patterns from books, magazines, etc.  And getting started.  Make a small version, or go large.  It's a good thing that a finish is not required......most of mine have taken a few months to complete.  And since The Season is approaching, a small project can turn into a gift  :).  Hope you will join in.

Our local guild's quilt show is this weekend.....got to get my things together for the demo.  Happy stitching.


6 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

I like your project, it incorporates all the colors and the white makes it look so fresh.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I agree with Kat - great use of scraps in a simple setting that is so stunning.

Sheila said...

I Love It! Such a cool idea! The little white strips make the rectangles of color Pop!
Good luck with the quilt show : )

Janet O. said...

That is a fun use of a variety of fabrics.
Love the old movies. I watch my favorites over and over again, too. I have Casablanca, but haven't watched it for a long time. I should pull it out! : )

Dana Gaffney said...

I think the simplicity adds to how beautiful it is, lots of color but still nice for the eyes. Ahhhh, Bogey.

Mary said...

A rainy afternoon at the sewing machine watching a favorite movie....yup, sounds like bliss.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...