Result: It is blah to me and not what I was going for. It is that "background" fabric that is too consistent with no blending. I want the block to be noticed but I do love that blended look.
This photo shows the second try at the top....and the strong/stark block. The lighter values in the center are better.....but I am not liking the background.
At the bottom for comparison is the first block with the dark in the center. It is very muddy and the block disappears. I also do not like the striped effect that I used for the sashing here. That has to go.
So yesterday I made some adjustments.
I removed 3 of the corner pieces on the second block with the lighter center....on the bottom now. Much better, as I can still see the block but it is softer with the new corner pieces.
Second adjustment was to try different fabrics for the sashing piece. Both of them work....and I will mix in whatever else I find in the stash closet.
Result: This is more of the effect that I was after....a softer, blended look. I want the block to be seen or noticed but not jump out at you. I like the edges to blend and fade into the background.
Now I am ready to slice up some very special fabrics that I have been saving for a while. And a binding to attach....almost to the finish line with one :) Happy stitching.