Friday, August 26, 2016

Changed plans

  The last couple of days involved changed plans, and very little chance to sew.
On Wednesday, therapy found a slot to do my PT evaluation before my dental cleaning.  So I had a full workout in the morning......walking, standing, exercises for coordination and then the crazy balance box testing!  
  The box looks like a phone booth with no doors.  I was strapped into a harness for safety.....think jumping out of a plane and you know what I looked like.  Once in position, the first few test were simple, just stand with eyes open and then with eyes closed and keep your balance.  Next set was much the same, only the walls moved and shifted.  That was a bit strange but I kept my balance.  Third set.....the floor moved and tilted.  Even with my eyes open, I had trouble staying upright.  For the last set, you can guess what happened.......walls and floor moved and shifted like a roller coaster ride.  With eyes open I fell forward, and when I closed my eyes I fell backwards.  I was done after that......so PT will work a lot on my balance.

  Then Thursday morning, I called to get an appointment to have my eyes/vision checked.  I was thinking sometime in next few weeks, but my doctor had a different idea.   He must have flagged my chart because he wanted me in that day.  So forget the sewing time, we went for eye exam.  Results....some vision changes.  The right eye is much weaker then before.  OCT photographs showed changes in the retina, mainly in the right eye, but a slight change  near the temporal area in the left eye.  What does that mean?    There is no sure answer as to why the changes occurred, but a strong possibility it is from the Vitamin B 12 depletion.  Will it improve?  Maybe or not, so I will have a full recheck in 2 months.

  So I will continue to eat those vitamins, along with fish and meats and other good things.  One day I hope to say the nerves are healing and improving.  
For today, I will get to the sewing room and join a few rows of circles.  They won't be perfect I know, but better to try than not.  I plan to enjoy the time anyway.   Keep stitching.

23 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Sewing is your best therapy to get into a zone of creating and get your mind off the other things. When my eye tumor was diagnosed the only thing that kept me same was working on my quilts. The hours would pass without very many thoughts of my troubles. You might want to do some purposely wonky projects right now just to keep the machine humming.

Mary said...

Enjoy your sewing time. It's my sanity therapy of choice too!

Janet O. said...

Oh, wow. Sounds like a less than pleasant experience being harnessed into a phone booth that tilts and shifts. Glad you survived. : )
Hope the vitamins improve the eyesight, and I hope you finally get your stitching therapy!!

Siver_Angela said...

Дебби, выздоравливайте.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I think there was a ride like that at an old time amusement park I loved. The bottom would even drop out. Which is ok when you are ten or twelve. I keep stitching also. Had a bad migraine episode today. Dragged myself out of bed and started sewing. Praying for your strength and improvement. Listen to Wanda.

allthingzsewn said...

Hey Girl, glad to see you getting back to sewing a little bit. I have not been online for a bit, Storms brewing at home. Still praying for your recovery.

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm right along there with Wanda - quilting is the best therapy. I have found this so many times in the past years, still find it so even though the process may take me longer these years. Keep on practicing!!!
The balance box does not sound the best!!! I would have hated that - bravo for you!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, sweetness - the tilt-a-world! I was never good at that (still). Stay strong - hugs and prayers.

Dana Gaffney said...

So PT has an amusement ride in it? At least you didn't throw up :). I agree with Wanda and the name of your blog says it all, if it's sewing for physical therapy or an escape from it all, just sew. Maybe you'll make some amazing modern, wonky thing, but I think you'll enjoy working with your beloved florals more, like being with old friends.

Gene Black said...

I do believe I would have fallen down on the last set, with everything moving. Good balance has never been my strong suit.
:)

52KID said...

I've been reading your progress along the way, and am very pleased for you that you can think about sewing again. As for that balance box, I think I'd defy anyone to keep their balance - I know I wouldn't. Keep up the good work, you've done amazingly well.

Quilting Babcia said...

Oh, that balance box sounds like pure torture! I know I'd never pass that last test. Quilting is the best therapy, for the spirit and for your fine motor coordination. I'm so happy that you're finally getting back into your sewing room and having a bit of play time. And yes, keep taking those vitamins! Just consider them your power pills!

Sylvia Anderson said...

I look forward to getting your e-mails and just so happy that you are able to let us know what's going on in your world right now, even though it's now all sunshine and roses. You are making strides toward recovery and believe that your sewing room is the best place for you. Unfortunately those vitamins are a necessary evil in your life, just like quilting Babcia said. Hugs

Marisol said...

Ánimo, todo mejorará. Mis mejores deseos.

Marisol said...

Ánimo, todo mejorará. Mis mejores deseos.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Even a tiny thing can change several things in your health, and, you had some whoppers in your health, so, it will take a while for things to get back to normal. My mother in law lost all her potassium, and a few other vitamins, last Spring, when she got over dehydrated while sick. It took her months to get back to normal. She had been in good health before that. Keep up the PT (my balance is bad, and I don't have the health reasons to blame). Hard work, patience, and time will make a difference. Instead of just looking day to day, try setting a date (like Halloween) and look for comparisons then, vs what you have now.

liniecat said...

Gosh girl that sounds really freaky!
I'm screwed on most fairground rides so you have my respect right away : )
Stick at it hun.
Lyn

MissPat said...

I think the suggestion to aim for wonky blocks is wise, although I struggle to do wonky on purpose. Another idea is to "make" fabric from scraps ala Victoria Findlay Wolfe or Amanda Jean Nyberg. Piecing some strings would be good, too. And keep up the doodling. I think many people would have trouble with that phone booth balance test.

QuilterinMotion said...

I know I would have "tossed my cookies" with your final PT test. I think perhaps you are as normal in that area as any of us would be. I found that hand-stitching kept me calm and sane while waiting for my breast cancer surgery and recovering from it last winter. I lost my sewing machine mojo for many months but the hand-stitching did work for me. Every little step you take leads to larger ones; try to be patient with yourself. I found that the hardest thing to do. Stitching helped immensely.

Nicki said...

I don't even think I could pass the balance box test & I consider myself pretty doggone healthy for my age. :) Sounds like the sewing room is your best therapy for now. I wonder what the eye changes are all about now. I'm praying for strength, courage & stamina as you continue to heal. {{{HUGS}}}

Auntiepatch said...

I'm so glad that you are doing better. Keep up the good work with PT. They can pick up things that the doctors miss. Small steps....

Susan said...

Best wishes for your continued recovery!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

That PT box testing doesn't sound like a bit of fun--hoping you get through that quickly! I think our eye health is very sensitive to everything we go through (my vision worsened with every pregnancy but eventually came back around--fortunately). So glad you're beginning to get time for sewing again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...