Thursday, January 26, 2017

FMQ for the border

  The border was awaiting some stitching on the pineapple blossom quilt.  It kept asking for feathers, and I kept saying "Really?"
  I wanted just a little something different, but knew I needed to practice those feathers after months of not stitching.    I am expected to teach a class in a few months, and I preach practice, practice, practice.

  So can you see what I did?  A section of endless style feathers---those with no-spine and then a diagonal division of sorts.  This section is filled with pebbles....please don't laugh too loudly.  The pebbles around here are irregular and chipped usually, so that is what I was duplicating 😉    This part looks pretty good.


Here's another diagonal slice with a different fill....just wiggle lines.   I just drew on diagonal lines about 1 1 1/2'' apart.  I only used the ruler for the drawing part and the stitching was done free hand, so there is a slight wobble.  

  This was actually the first section of feathers and I was getting back my muscle memory and did a few poor/goofs for stitches.  I chose to keep on going.....a good wash will help hide them.  

  So for today, I got half way around and decided that was enough for now.    We have errands to run tomorrow, so I will finish stitching this over the weekend.  I finished up about 10 more blocks while watching part of quilt-cam with Bonnie Hunter last night.  My stack is growing and the bins seem just as full.....but not as full as the one Bonnie showed.


  I have a new snipping tool app on my computer and I captured this block from a pin I saw recently.  ( I needed to play with it.)   The page link is broken for this pin, so I can't give credit for it.  
   It is simple enough and Valentine's Day is approaching, so I think most of us can figure it out.    A (two patch + strip) = center.  Center +  4 corner triangles = one unit.  Repeat 4 times.  I am sure a math teacher can create a better equation, but you get the idea.
Great for a mug rug for gift, or turn it into a table runner for dinner.    Yikes....time to start dinner.  Happy stitching.

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful FMQ, absolutely beautiful.

    QuiltShopGal
    www.quiltshopgal.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the feathers - wish I could quilt these on the machine, perhaps I should follow what you say - practice, practice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job on your feathers, and the pebbles too! I'm another one who should follow your advice to practice! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feathers are about my favorite free motion technique, and yours are always so pretty and well balanced, and smooth. I like your idea of breaking them up diagonally with some other motifs for a wide border.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilting looks good to me. I need to do some practice as I have a small art quilt that needs quilted and a large bed quilt that needs quilted also. But practicing first is necessary - especially before the art quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The feathers look terrific- very flowing and moving. The pebbles look like real pebbles, not bubbles. I like the hearts. I am sweating trying to figure out valentine cards myself because I need to make a lot and the expectations keep increasing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, you've still got it! They look beautiful, congratulations. I like the inserts too, especially the wiggle lines, after the T-Rex quilt I'm not ready for pebbles for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your design approach to the border and I think your feathers and pebbles look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pebbles look fine. Real pebbles aren't uniformly round. I really need to give feathers a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your border quilting looks amazing. Never have caught on to that spineless form of feather--you do it so well!
    I had just recently wondered if I could whip up something using that little heart block. Maybe I will just watch you do it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your border on the quilt is really pretty. I like feathers without spines & really like the idea of the diagonal divisions. I also like the little loops transitions to your feathers. Keep up the good work. Nice looking heart blocks. They don't look complicated.

    ReplyDelete

Love questions and comments! No reply bloggers....if you have something to say, please include email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...