Friday, January 12, 2018

    I never expected to be so quiet for so long.  A month can slip away in a blink of an eye for me it seems.  The busy times of Christmas took a toll on me and I needed about 4 days to recover from than, and another couple of days to get the house set back in order.   Just when I felt better the first Arctic blast arrived and elevated my pain level beyond what I could tolerate.  Mornings of 6 degrees and days that barely got above freezing are not my friends.  I don't do pain meds, and rely on things like Tylenol to get by.   So I read a lot, and then read some more,  and just waited it out.

  This week warmer days came, the sun returned, and I spent a couple of hours each day just soaking in the warmth and Vitamin D.  I pulled out projects that had been cut and began some simple piecing.  My finger tip nerves are hindering me a bit, as I have a great deal of problem feeling the fabric.


 Just picking up pieces for pairing takes forever.  I had parts for this Crossroads pattern cut and sorted so that is where I began.  It is a forgiving block and my lack of accuracy in spots can be worked in.  It's from Connie at Freemotion by the River....here's her tutorial.  
   I have made this one several times---scrappy, floral, fall theme prints---and in different sizes.   Crossroads to printout from Connie.  




 
   It took a few days  but I got parts cut for a Boxed Square throw.  The pattern is here  at Mary Quilts.    This one is just florals---dark versus light values.  I plan on sewing these  leader/ender style as I put the rows together for the scrappy Crossroads top. 

   My two 16 patch bed throws are pinned and sitting by Hot Legs for a quilting session.   We have another blast of very cold air blowing in tomorrow, so I really should get one done.


   Sir Old Man is down for a week or so.  He thought it was a sinus infection.  I thought he had pneumonia.  We were both wrong.  He is on steroids, and an inhaler for now for allergic bronchial reaction to inhaling wood dust----so so we think.  He was at the guild sanding on a donation project and forgot his mask.  First mistake.  On donation projects they use common/lower grade/overseas import products.......between the lines read  non-native species that we have not been exposed to can cause allergic reaction.   He is no worse, and has been able to rest better now.    It was still scary for him.

  Rather than a recap from last year, I updated the quilts for 2017  page.  As for 2018.....who knows?  I have no big plans, I have a couple things to quilt, a couple things I want to make.   I'm not running a race this year.

14 comments:

Robby said...

Welcome back! What an interesting thing to learn about your DH's health scare. Hope he's back at 100% soon.

Ray and Jeanne said...

So happy that your life is returning to your normal and glad your weather is returning to normal. Hoping Sir Old Man is also getting better. I'm with you - no races this year; whatever gets done, gets done. Take care and enjoy each day. ~Jeanne

Vroomans' Quilts said...

No racing sounds like a good plan to me. Hope DH feels better soon, that's a bit scarey even to me.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I hope your weather heats up. We expect those cold temperatures, you don't. But that doesn't mean I like them just because I expect them.
It seems the older we get the more allergic reactions can happen too. I hope you are both feeling better soon.

Mary said...

Wow! What a way to end 2017 and start 2018. I am so happy to see you posting again. I hope both of you are feeling much better.

Quilting Babcia said...

I hope for all our sakes that this latest cold front moves on quickly and we begin to warm up again soon. And that both you and Sir Old Man are feeling much better in quick order. I think a lot of us are accepting the fact that slowing down and not feeling like we're in some kind of "race" to finish things up is a more healthy attitude. Enjoy your stitching on the days when you feel up to it, and hopefully with warmer spring days there will be more and more times when you feel ready to stitch again.

Janet O. said...

Sounds like the two of you have had it rough lately. Will be praying for continued improvement.
You are wise not to put too much pressure on yourself. Seems you take it as it comes, and do what you can. My hat is off to you, Debbie. I learn much from your attitude!

Barbara said...

Sorry you’ve been feeling poorly. I think that cold weather got to a lot of people. It’s good that you gave yourself some time to relax and heal.

Louise said...

Welcome back, Debbie! I hope you have warm, sunny weather to help you feel better and that your husband recovers quickly from his allergies. Wood dust can be nasty, as I learned from my first husband who liked to work with exotic woods. Some of them are really toxic!

I like that Crossroads pattern. It would be fun with my scrappy 2" strips. I'll add it to my (many) saved computer files for reference. Thanks for passing along the tutorial!

Food and Fiber Floozie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'm ready for Spring temps. I'm sure you are, too. Stay warm, and quilt when you can.

Mystic Quilter said...

So good to see a post from you! Hoping warmer temperatures will soon arrive for you, we are too warm down here in New Zealand!

Diane said...

Glad you both are doing better

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

I’ve been a little slow with blogging lately as well—time just gets away—and I’m behind on my reading. Hope the weather is still warmer for you now. No fun to be in pain to do the things we enjoy. :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...