Thursday, May 24, 2018

Summer Light


  A new wall hanging, door banner, or table runner.......this is for a donation to my guild's silent auction for the annual quilt show.  I debated on omitting the border.........but opted for making it  bigger for use as a banner.  I used straight line stitching  for the quilting. 


   The border is a very deep mottled green.  And I thought it needed a pop of color  to set it off. 










 The accent strip is a flange.  It is a 1''  strip that is folded in half.  The raw edges align with the edge of the pieced center.  I stitch it in place first with a long stitch.  Then the border is attached as usual.   That leaves the accent flange loose.  It is nice to create dimension.
  For the color of the flange.....it is a buttery tan.  I like the way it brings out the yellow tones in the piece.



  And as I finish up each project, I have more scraps to deal with.  The extra binding from the banner was cut to make garlic knot block.  Guess I will just make these until I am full!
   



  The garlic knot blocks were begging to be played with too this weekend.   I joined 4 of them together to hang on the design wall.  I decided that the pieced knots will all go in one direction and create the "neutral knot" in the background.
   I have about 40 blocks made and another 15 or so clipped together to be sewn.  I treat myself to stitching a block together when I only have a short amount of time to sew.  Just for fun:)


  The string star is being pinned today, so it can go under the needle soon.  Happy stitching.

10 comments:

Gene Black said...

So this flange is added before quilting? I am sure I would manage to catch it in the quilting stitches.

Ray and Jeanne said...

If I was at the quilt show, I'd be bidding on this one! The flange really sets it off.
You are smart to deal with your scraps as you accumulate them... ~Jeanne

Mary said...

Beautiful colorwash. What color of thread did you use for your quilting?

Louise said...

Perfect border setting for a wall hanging! It looks like a beautifully framed impressionist painting :)

Quilting Babcia said...

Another gorgeous finish, and the buttery yellow flange is the perfect touch. Those garlic knot blocks are growing on me, may have to start making a few from the never-ending scraps. A happy holiday weekend to you!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Lovely watercolor project! Your guild should benefit from your donated beauty.
Garlic Knots are a great scrap block.

Janet O. said...

It is a beautiful banner, with a very appropriate name (and that flange is a great accent)!
I like your choice to let the garlic knots form in positive and negative colors.

---"Love" said...

As I've said before, your Summer Light is beautiful, and the border is a perfect frame and finish for it. I don't recall ever seeing garlic knots put together before, but I love how yours created another one going the other direction. Very neat! ---"Love"

Nicki said...

Your banner is very pretty & I think the flange was perfect to showcase it. I like how you did your straight stitch quilting a bit farther away from the seam. It really seems to give the banner/wall hanging/table runner dimension. The garlic knot blocks are coming along nicely. I love the floral fabrics used in them....floral knots. I keep going back to your rope bowl. Makes me want to make some more. :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The flange makes the quilt pop. Nice job.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...