Friday, June 22, 2018

Layouts

  After messing around/playing with settings to fix the comment problem with the home grown fix from Amity Quilter post,  I was glad to get to the sewing room. Pat is our home grown, genius quilter/blogger to have found and shared this fix.  And we are all happy!

   In the sewing room......it was bitter sweet to put together the last, the very last garlic knot block that I had in the rope bowl.    The blocks have been in the processing line for a couple of months and I was addicted to pairing them up.  I had developed a system for assembly to keep things straight, and to stitch up a couple of leader/ender 4 patches in the process.





   And now to get a look at the design wall.....colorful knots of scrappy goodness!   I have one more row to sew into the 4 block unit to add to the wall.

   Then on to the joining and pressing to decide on borders or not.











   I had an email  from Lesley who has found my blog and begun a strip pieced water color creation.  She was wanting a layout to create a heart design.  I had to really go back thru the photo files to find my original heart.  This was from 2003 I believe.  I cringe now when I see it....so many things I could have changed, but that is how we develop .

  Anyway, I can see how the layout happens, but was not sure anyone else could.  I turned to EQ7 to set up a layout design to follow.



 The layout is based upon HST block with a light side and a dark side, much like a log cabin block that is half light and half dark.  This will mimic the strip pieced watercolor block, like in this photo.





 
   Here is the guide to layout the blocks for creating a heart  using a 6 block by 6 block design.  You can see that an extra 2 blocks in the center area are needed.  These need to be all light to medium with no dark.

 
   Enough for today.....I have goodies in the mail.  Can't wait to see them.
Happy stitching!

9 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Isn't it amazingow one block at a time grows into a whole quilt? The garlic knots are so fun. I made a queen size bargello quilt back over 6 years ago and it was very hard. I love the thought of a floral watercolor quilt. Thank you for taking the time and sharing. Thank you for the post that got my blogging comments back.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Thanks for sharing the heart layout. I also love the Garlic Knot blocks and plan to use them for a leader/ender project when I get some cut.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I really like the garlic knot block. I think there is one in a Kaffe Fassett book with that block or one very similar that I need to search out. Thanks for the heads up yesterday on how to fix the blogger comment problem.

Barbara said...

I love your heart quilt. Some of my quilts are like that too, where I look at them and think what I might have done differently if I were making them today. Still, I love those quilts, and I think of them all as opportunities for learning. Isn’t it great to have our comments back?

Maureen said...

I’ve not made a garlic knot, but it is now on my list! Looks like a great way to use some scraps.

Janet O. said...

I am really liking the outcome on your garlic knots. Bittersweet to come to the end of a project we enjoy--but also cheer-worthy! :)
You are always so good to share your process with us, no matter how much time it must take to prepare all the info!

Louise said...

Isn't it interesting to see how much progress we've made in a few years? Thanks for the heart quilt layout. It looks so much softer with the watercolor blocks instead of regular HST. Very nice!

Mary said...

Another great tutorial! Your garlic block quilt looks like a fun one to do.

Mystic Quilter said...

Garlic Knot is looking so good and you're almost finished!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...