Friday, October 15, 2010

Quick and Easy end to binding

A quick and easy way to attach and end binding....tutorial style....as requested by Deborah.

 
Cut strips at 2 1/2 inches.  Join binding using a diagonal seam--see first photo.  The ends of the strips are at right angles to each other and right sides together.  Draw a line for stitching from the upper left corner to the lower right corner of the top fabric.  Stitch on the line.



Trim the seam to 1/4 inch, and press the seam open.
You should have a straight piece of binding with a nice diagonal seam.







To the beginning end of the binding, fold the end down to create a 45 degree angle.  Press a crease and then trim off the excess to leave about 1/2 inch folded over.
 
Now for the quick ending help......Cut a piece of paper backed fusible that is about 1/2 inch wide and about 2 inches long.  Fuse this over the folded end of the binding at the 45 degree fold.  I leave the paper on.  Fold the binding in half.






With the binding folded in half,  place in on the back of your quilted piece, matching the raw edges.  Look close and you can see a pin where I began stitching.....it is about 3 inches from the beginning point of the binding.  Stitch the binding on as usual.  I miter the corners.
Now the binding is attached all the way around and I stop stitching about 2 -3 inches from the beginning of the binding.  The long tail needs to be trimmed to overlap the beginning end....about 1 inch overlap.  I cut  it on a diagonal to match  the beginning binding.   Now you can remove the paper on the fusible strip.












This photo shows  the ending tail trimmed to match the diagonal and it is tucked into the fold of the beginning binding edge.   
Pin it in place and go to the ironing board.     Press the join.  You are securing the end of the binding by  fusing the end to the beginning.   Back to the machine, and stitch the rest of the seam to finish attaching the binding. 











 Almost done....... Pull the binding to the front of the quilt.  I go back to the ironing board and do a quick press on the corners and pin the fold to secure it.  You can see where the beginning and ending point is....and fused. 

Last step is to top stitch from the front along the edge of the binding.  I pivot at the corners with the needle down in the fabric and continue to stitch all the way around.  This last photo is a different small piece, but you can see the stitching better on the front because I used a variegated thread to finish it off. 
I think this is done!
Happy Stitching....Debbie

2 comments:

Carol said...

I'm about ready to put a binding on a small quilt. I'll try your suggestion. Great idea.

Deborah in Atlanta said...

Deborah here...thanks for the tutorial. I can now see what you were talking about. I didn't understand once you got to the fusible web. Now that I have a visual, I totally get it. I'm printing your tutorial off so I'll have it handy when I do my next binding. Thanks so much for doing this! I am so grateful you did.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...