Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Over and Under technique

  This may appear more complicated than it is. 
There are only 4 blocks to this Over and Under wall hanging/small quilt.  
  This was an on-line class from learningfa yahoo group.  You begin with a large square that you fold and slice into sections.  Then you reassemble it by inserting the color strips.  Next is a second set of slices and more strips to insert.  The instructions were excellent, or I would not have even attempted it. 
   I haven't joined the blocks  together yet because I can't decide on the center formation.  Depending on how you rotate the blocks, the color formation changes.  I also need to decide on the border---narrow, wide, or pieced.  So it will probably just hang around for a few days while I mull it over. 
    I spent sometime sketching ideas for the Journal Quilt Challenge.  I really am enjoying pushing myself to do this.  
Insight:   I have made a course correction in my purpose.  I am not sticking to a theme but rather want to focus on techniques.    That way at the end of the year----or when ever I stop/quit/move on----I will have a large collection for reference of ideas and different ways to achieve them.    That gives me the freedom to   "re-visit" a design I like and try it a different way, or use a different color combination.    No rules  to break, just techniques to try and learn.    So this week I am looking at texture.  I have some scraps from Deana that might just make an interesting background.  I'm off to dig them out of the scrap box.
Happy stitching,

3 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting design, Debbie. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look great. I just printed out the instructions and have to decide which fabrics I want to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your colors, have you done any more on it??

    ReplyDelete

Love questions and comments! No reply bloggers....if you have something to say, please include email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...