Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Finally, the Faux Braid

   This series of posts has been a journey for me.....reviewing some past quilts and braid techniques, and hunting up info to share, and trying to some order into all of it.
Insight:  Developing a class or series like this is not easy....it is work!  So hug a teacher, they deserve it.

Quarter Log Cabin  block
   The Faux Braid is a new favorite now.....I think I could put one together blindfolded.  It works up fast and easy.  So what is it?  Simply the quarter log cabin block....with the variation of how the colors or values are placed.
   Generally or traditionally,  the quarter log cabin block  might look like the photo on the right.  Each round that is added to the starting square is the same fabric/color.
 
  
  This photo shows the change in placement for the Faux Braid using the quarter log cabin block.  Each round contains a light strip and a dark strip.  This arrangement creates a block that is half light and half dark.  Then when set together the blocks create a braid effect.




 
  By rotating the block for the layout, the diagonal bands are formed.  Note.....very little matching to worry with!  
   I call this one the soft version.  The fabrics are low contrast...a very soothing and restful effect for our troubled world.   A nice border and a little applique would finish it off nicely.










         And for the flip side.......a version done in leftover batik strips.  Same pattern, just different fabrics for a different and stronger voice.  This one reminds me of the blue Ridge Mountains that are nearby.

  The original tutorial is from Sharon at Vroomansquilts.    Be sure to say hello when you check it out.

  Based on her tutorial I put together a simple sheet with the construction details.  Click here for the printable PDF for the Faux Braid.  

 

    I had planned to take a side by side photo  for comparison on the deck today, but nature intervened.  It is 37 degrees, and raining here, so I resorted to the front porch again.   I just wanted the contrast of the 2 versions....one soft and the other stronger.  Whatever fabrics you prefer, the Faux Braid will be striking!









  Thanks to all for taking the time to read and comment on this series of posts.  I hope a few of you will try this fun technique, get over your fear, and figure out which one you prefer.    Send me a photo if you dare!
 
   If I am quiet for a few days....don't worry.  I have a lot of stuff to clean up in the sewing room, and  a couple to quilts to work on.  Wishing all a Happy Thanksgiving.  I am thankful this is done..... ;)

Happy stitching.




9 comments:

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I have so enjoyed this series - thanks a ton! I think I am going to have to dedicate a year to my floral stash... maybe 2015!~ Seriously, I have stacks of pretty florals and lots of ideas to use them. Even in new collections I am naturally drawn to the floral prints.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You have presented such a wonderful series with this. Look at the difference in from one quilt to the next - just lovely. Cannot wait to see what results from this presentation.

Janet O. said...

Lori's (Humble Quilts) Mountain Trail was this type and I really enjoyed making it.
I have also enjoyed learning all about braid quilts from you! Thanks for your efforts. It has been very helpful!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Thanks for sharing all of this info--going to have to put it on the list of to-do's. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Dana Gaffney said...

Happy Thanksgiving my friend! I know you're happy to be finished, but I'm not ready ;). So what's next?

Impera Magna said...

So beautiful... so tempting to drop everything and try a braid!

Wishing you and Sir Old Man a blessed Thanksgiving...

Nicki said...

Thanks for all the information you share with us. You are such a sweetheart for always keeping us informed & challenging us to learn/improve our techniques. I've printed off the Faux Braid Quarter Log Cabin Block & plan to try this some day.
Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours!

Rosa said...

Thanks you for all the tips and hope to try it.Yours is just stunning.Have a great Thanksgiving!!

Lynne said...

Thank you so much. *hugs*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...