Friday, May 16, 2014

2014 Blogger's Quilt Festival

Welcome to the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  I do hope you are enjoying all the blogs and entries.

  This year I want to share The Buzz Saw quilt.  I affectionately refer to this one as The Whopper, just because it is so big.  I don't usually make quilts this large.  It finished at 112" by 94".
   
  In the fall,  I worked on the 80 + blocks needed.  I used the "magic technique" of  Majestic Mountains from Quiltville and Bonnie Hunter and simply added an extra strip to one side for the block construction.  So assembly was simple.  The quilting.....that became a hold up.  I folded the top and put it aside.  I delayed. I hesitated.  I procrastinated.  I fussed that it was so big.....such a whopper!




  Finally, I put it under the needle.  I was asked how I quilted it.....one small bite at a time!  The center plain areas were quilted with lots of swirls....one section at a time.  Some straight line quilting was added through the center of the batik "saw blades" area.
  I quilt on a Tiara table top long arm....and I love the space.  I use side tables for support of large quilts, and do a lot of bunching and scrunching.








  When it came to the borders I knew I wanted to quilt lots of feathers....endless feathers.  So when the snow storm hit us, it was time.  I tackled the borders, again one small section at a time.  And before the snow melted, I was done.











 
  My husband, referred to as Sir Old Man, selected the pattern.  If you have visited here before, you know he is a woodworker, so the buzz saw pattern clicked with him.  My blade is larger, but his has more teeth!


















   The rest of the story......I agreed to make this large quilt because Sir Old Man agreed to make a new bed for us.  I even put that on the label.  The quilt is ready and waiting for the bed-to-be.....only the wood has been selected for the legs.  
   As quilters we know the importance of making test pieces.  So to be fair, he has been "practicing" techniques needed by making a side table.  The table is almost complete, and ready to be fumed with ammonia----don't ask, that is another story!  Of course, he now needs to build a tent to do the fuming.





 I just hope that Sir Old Man knows that although the quilt is large enough to cover his saw and table, it belongs on a bed.
  Thanks for visiting and reading about the Buzz Saw quilt.

  Category: Large Quilts

Enjoy the Festival...link here.

25 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love this quilt - so enjoyed watching the 'growth' of this one.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a beautiful, beautiful quilt and it look perfect on your husbands saw!!

tirane93 said...

how funny posing your quilt with the saw! i love your color combination and that extension into the border. lovely quilt!

Angie said...

It is GORgeous, Debbie! :)

Calicojoan said...

I love Buzz Saw quilts. The colors in this are just fabulous!

sonia said...

Beautiful quilt!

Janet O. said...

Wonderful finish, Debbie! That is a lot of quilting to tackle, even with your wonderful machine. Queen is the largest I have tackled on mine.
Your feathers are awe-inspiring, as always!

Dana Gaffney said...

Ah, there it is again and just as beautiful as I remember. Everything is perfect, the colors, the pattern and of course the gorgeous quilting. Can't wait to see it again on the new bed :)

Anonymous said...

I love your quilt and the quilting! Thanks for mentioning the Magic Technique, it took some searching but I finally found it here http://quiltville.com/delmtspf.html What a great way to make these squares, but I don't quite understand how you used it to make your multicolored mountains?

AnnieO said...

Beautiful colors--clever assembly. Quilting that gave you quite a workout but it turned out wonderfully. Hope you get to sleep under it on a bed someday:). Thanks for sharing your quilt's story.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Gorgeous. Love the photos with the saw too.

Nicki said...

Such a gorgeous quilt & I love the story behind it. That makes it even more special. You & your DH are a perfect pair...you buy large pieces of fabric, cut it up re-makes it into something beautiful....he buys large pieces of wood, cuts it up & re-makes it into something beautiful.

CitricSugar said...

Great work! And thank heavens you had a mid-arm. It would have been a nightmare to quilt without the extra throat space...

quiltedfabricart said...

love the blues and white, it reminds me of the sea. your quilting is wonderful and will look great on that new bed.

sherry said...

love the colours..very calming as opposed to the name…that balances them out…well done

Kim said...

This is so pretty and quilting is fantastic.

Alison V. said...

Very beautiful!

PaintedThread said...

I love that you colored a bit outside the lines. :-) I love the colors. It's a very pretty quilt.

Seams Sew Together said...

Hilarious, he sounds like my Old man, great quilt and love the texture.

Ольга Романив said...

So nice to look at this quilt! Beautifully! Original! Carefully!

Sharon L. said...

I loved this pattern so much that I also made this pattern. I started it last summer (2013) after a guest speaker spoke to the quilt guild that I belong to. I made it for my grown son (37) and was going to give it to him for Christmas, but couldn't come. I then took my time to finish it. He will get it next month for his birthday. He also getting married for the first time on the same day. I did edge to edge quilting using my embroidery machine and hooped and rehooped many times until it was finished. I love the way it came out. I have to do the label, but I can't think of a name. He is NOT into woodwork, but he is into art and a Graphic Designer. I wish that I could come up with a name for his quilt.

Sharon L. said...

I loved this pattern so much that I also made this pattern. I started it last summer (2013) after a guest speaker spoke to the quilt guild that I belong to. I made it for my grown son (37) and was going to give it to him for Christmas, but couldn't come. I then took my time to finish it. He will get it next month for his birthday. He also getting married for the first time on the same day. I did edge to edge quilting using my embroidery machine and hooped and rehooped many times until it was finished. I love the way it came out. I have to do the label, but I can't think of a name. He is NOT into woodwork, but he is into art and a Graphic Designer. I wish that I could come up with a name for his quilt.

Jasmine said...

Absolutely beautiful! I have made two buzz saw quilts out of flannel for a cabin look. I love how it looks with the batik fabric, and how you extended it into the borders.

Debbie said...

I lost your email while we were out of town...before I could reply. I am sure your quilt is wonderful, and know he will love it. As for a name, it's a personal choice.....a word play off his graphic designer and art interest maybe.

magistra said...

Just wanted to say that I loved the quilt also! Those colors will always draw me in, beautiful! I'm new to the quilt thing so maybe it's normal, but I really fell in love with the quilt because of the two outside pieces. To me it shows a sense of humor, which seems to fit based on the story behind the quilt and your husband's nickname. Anyway, I hope you both enjoy many years under it :) You have certainly set the bar high for him to make a beautiful bed for it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...