Wednesday, May 7, 2014

What a difference

Difference number 1:  What a difference all that cutting made!  I have space---free space---in my stash closet  on the floral shelves!  Of course, I now have 3  overflowing and jam packed boxes of floral strips instead of 2.  I could thin it out a little bit more, but figured it was time to do something with a few strips.

Difference number 2: 
   I finally picked out a magazine for my Let's Book It project for the month to try using those floral fabrics.  But a little intervention occurred when I read about a finish at A Simple Life Quilts.  Deb shared a finished project called Minnesota Hot Dish. I realized it was the same pattern, only the value and color placement were different!
  Here's my first sample block---to test my math---and the magazine with the same block with a different arrangement.  What a difference the placement of value makes here.



This is a perfect block for using strips.
 And only a couple of spots require matching.....my kind of fun!
So now I get to cut up some strips and play with fabric.

  A lesson relearned here.  A traditional block can be transformed by where you place the value.  Reversing light and dark areas can provide a variation and a striking difference.

  •  I need to think outside the box more often.
  • Listen to my inner voice.
  • Forget trying to follow the latest thing.
  • Make more quilts!
And I am so glad my mojo has come home!  Happy stitching.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting change to the look. Have fun playing with those lovely strips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that block, will it do a free form zig-zag? I'm so glad your mojo back, I've had a few messages from mine so I'm hoping it will be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it will make a streak of lightening-ish quilt. Cool!
    I especially liked your "forget trying to follow the latest thing!" I need to tell myself that more often!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I like your block a whole lot better than the one on the cover. I'm having the hardest time seeing how your block & the cover block are the same except for value placement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love -thinning out the crowd-. Also not following the latest thing--- sometimes becomes the new thing!
    Your block is look'n Good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see your finish! This is going to be fantastic!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to use up those pesky strips that keep breeding like rabbits!

    ReplyDelete

Love questions and comments! No reply bloggers....if you have something to say, please include email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...