Sunday, December 14, 2014

My day....a top and a book

 Blocks assembled and pressed.... Carolina Chain  taking a rest in the warm afternoon sun while the maker digs in the stash for border fabrics.
    Another view from a different angle and the chains take on a different appearance.  Since it ended up about 50" by 60", it could use a border or two.  I'm just not sure what I will find in the closet.  If I dig deep enough, I am sure to find something that will work.





  And a book....not just any book, but one I have been longing/desiring for a little while.  Some times I pick up books for inspiration, like the old one I found by the Palouse Patchers mentioned in this post.   I have refined my watercolor technique, so my interest was in the designs they showed rather than techniques.
   But I digress.  The new book is this one, Lovely Landscape Quilts by Cathy Geier.
  I have been following her blog for a time and  have become a big fan of her quilts/designs.   Cathy's blog is full, repeat full, of details and information on her designs and techniques.
 But back to her new book.....it is full of wonderful photos, not only her landscapes, but 9 other quest artists who used strip technique for landscape quilts.  A lot of wonderful eye candy for design inspiration found in the first chapter.
  The next thing I noticed was the pages.....not slick and glossy, but matte.  They feel like satin, very nice for a change from most books.  She includes a full chapter on details about her technique of strip piecing on tear away foundation----this helps keep everything perfectly straight and flat.  Cathy has gotten glowing reviews since the book was released, and I am hopping on the wagon and saying it is a keeper for me!  I even purchased a few new fabrics.  I expect to be trying this technique soon.
  So I am going to curl up with my new book, and finish devouring the projects that fill the pages.  Happy stitching.

9 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Lovely - the Carolina Chain is on my 2015 list using the RSC15 to complete those blocks. The new books like something right up your alley and look forward to what comes into play.

Mary said...

I am so glad you treated yourself to the book and fabric! Carolina Chain is lovely.

Sharon said...

Lovely review of Cathy's book! Have fun with it!

Lynne said...

The quilt looks fabulous and the design has been added to my 'some day' list!
Oh no! Just what I didn't need -- another great book to buy! LOL

Janet O. said...

I love chain quilts! Very nice job.
Nothing better than curling up with a good book for some inspiration. : )

Lynette said...

I had not come across this quilter before. I see lots of fun perusing in the next few days. :) Thanks for the share - enjoy your book; I may be ordering one for myself.

Dana Gaffney said...

The quilt came out great, I like just looking at it and letting my eye follow it, lots of movement. Just the cover of that book makes me want it. I'm checking out her blog too.

Terri said...

Great quilt - here it would be saturated our there on the lawn.
Landscape has been on the bucket list here, too. Thanks for the link and book review.
Hugs

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Love this quilt... Looks like a wonderful scrapbuster. And I'm intrigued by your new book and can't wait to see what it inspires you to make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...