Monday, June 15, 2015

Machine Stitches

 Does your machine have those programmed stitches on it that you never remember to use?   Or you don't know where to use them.......same here!
  So when I needed to  cover the edges on the  fused flowers, I  decided to try a few of them.  That is a serpentine stitch  around the outer edge.  It gives a fun finish to the flower.  For the center I used the uneven zig-zag stitches.  I'm not sure what they are really called.





  For the purple flower, I used the same uneven zig-zag, but I shortened the stitch length to give a more open appearance.

  To stabilize the piece, I simply placed batting behind the top.  The batting prevents distortion.    On both I used  Isacord embroidery thread.   Once everything was stitched down, I then added the backing and quilted.  So all the "uglies"  from the embroidery stitches, do not show on the back.












  Finished size is 15".....a cute wall hanging, or table topper.
  I like this one well enough to try another version and play around with the colors.


 













  Speaking of  color.....Color....yep some color was bought and given to Sir Old Man for the workshop.    Lol!!!  I found duct tape in red, turquoise, and camouflage.  Now he has no excuse / no reason to use that old gray stuff.   He should just be glad I didn't buy the pink, or the one with ducks on it!


  Happy stitching.

4 comments:

Janet O. said...

Very nice finish. Good idea to use those stitches on the flower edges. I don't have fancy stitches--my machines are very basic, but if I did, I would give this a try.

Dana Gaffney said...

I hope that picture means what I think, Happy Birthday Sir Old Man!!! I played with the fancy stitches once then promptly forgot about them, lol, thanks for the reminder.

Ivory Spring said...

Hello Debbie! It's is lovely to hear from you! Your quilt is beautiful.... and that quilt you show in your banner --- that stole my heart!

Happy Quilting.

liniecat said...

Pink gaffa tape lol well why not!
love the block : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...