Thursday, September 3, 2015

Mixed bindings for a finish

This quilt began in February...see the post here.   In this post, I referred to it as the 2+4 patch rail fence variation.   In July, I got it assembled and hunted for a border solution....in this post. 


    Last month I got it quilted.  I used swirls for the center and the stylized leaf and vine for the border.  This is a nice loose design that can fill a space without becoming too dense. Adding those extra curls helped to keep the design open and to turn the corners.







  I guess you want to see the front too.  I debated on quilting down the reddish inner border, but left it untouched.  I liked the way it just popped with color.



  Then it was time to bind......I pulled out the bindings box of odds and ends and began to join pieces.  Continued to sew the small bits together until I had enough.    I often do this for a scrap quilt, but usually I work in a colorway, like blues, and greens, etc.   This time it was whatever was on top of the heap.   Using up those small pieces is a good thing!



 This rail fence variation is named
Twist and Shout.....because it reminds me of a spontaneous party.
It's just for fun and will make a good donation quilt.
Size is about 60'' by 50''.









  Or maybe, we should just curl up with a good book on the porch this fall.  Either way, the mixed bindings worked and I can call it done.


  I sewed up a dozen or so triangle units that need to be trimmed before pressing.  We are taking a day trip to visit Sir Old Man's cousins in the mountains.  I heard there are a couple of quilt shops nearby.   Don't tell, but I think I might need to take some $$ with me.
Happy stitching.

10 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

I do love that leaf and vine border quilting. That does look like a perfect quilt for snuggling up on a crisp fall afternoon. Well done! Enjoy your trip to the mountains. I too am itching to visit a quilt store again, a year has been entirely too long without a quilt store fix!

Dana Gaffney said...

It's so colorful and bright, I love it! After your good deed of coats for the tools I think you deserve some quilt shop shopping, have fun.

Stitchin At Home said...

A great way to use up those bits and pieces. I'm going to have to do that for my next scrappy quilt. I love the leaf vine quilting.

Vivian said...

Love the sleuthing you did to figure out the pattern, love the journey the quilt took to get made and love the finishing and quilting! Wonderful work all around and a cozy quilt to boot (just in time for Fall)! Can I add this one to my scrappy "To Do" list?

Mary said...

Three days into the month and you have a finish...and a very nice one too!

Janet O. said...

Scrappy binding was a perfect finishing touch for this fun creation!
Oh, road trips always involve quilt shops, don't they? : )

Jasmine said...

Great use for scraps in the quilt top and binding. Love that border design.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The scrap binding works so well with this one. I think you deserve a little retail therapy after making those chisel coveres - wink-wink!

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely scrappy quilt and my all time favourite - scrappy bindings!
Yes I think you should definitely take along a few $$ - you jus might see something you really, really need!

Elvira said...

Te ha quedado preciosa el acolchado muy acertado
Besos

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...