Monday, February 8, 2016

Birds in the Air


  I had to search back to see when I began this.....it was in July  of last year.  I started making the triangles and got side tracked.  I returned to making triangles and got side tracked again.  I began joining the units and got off onto another project.  This photo is from November.....it finally made it to the flimsy stage.     

  I was unsure how it should be quilted, so it hung on a hanger for a couple of months.   I debated on straight lines to accentuate the diagonal lines.  I thought about some easy meandering since the fabric are mixed and strong in places.       Then I thought it needed a border.....or not.    I finally asked myself a couple of questions.....was I keeping or giving it away?  ......did I want a soft or hard effect?   I decided to keep it for a small lap quilt.  I always want a small throw on my lap when I sit and read or watch TV.   And a soft effect was an easy choice.   Quilting motif is a pattern called swirly tails  from Wendy Shepard's blog.   It softly blends without being too dense.
      A pale purple binding finished it off.    I tried a scrappy mixed of colors/ all dark colors  but found it distracting on this one.   Since the color palette is blue, green, and purple  I thought a softer tone worked the best.


  And this Let's book It project is done!   
    I found a small project to play with for this month's Book It project.  It's a nice mind distracting / doesn't have to be perfect project.  When I have things tumbling around in my brain---life in general---I find that a simple project is best.  So I will be playing with it for a day or two.   Enjoy it all....happy stitching.  

13 comments:

Robby said...

I loved this the first time I saw it and the finished quilt is even better! You made such wonderful color and fabric selections that really let show the pattern to great effect. Hope you enjoy it!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

The colors give your quilt such a relaxing feel. Love it!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is so pretty. Love, love all of the triangles. Now I really need to finish mine, finished piecing the top in Oct. 2010 and still contemplating a pieced border. Now that yours is done, I need to make a decision and get busy on mine.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Such a soothing quilt - a scrappy binding just wouldn't work for sure - great choice on the color. I would have a hard time parting with this one, too.

Janet O. said...

This quilt exudes calm, peaceful moments. I think it is so beautiful in its simplicity, and the soft binding is an appropriate finish!

Jasmine said...

Congrats on the finish. I love the texture from your beautiful quilting.

Quilting Babcia said...

Absolutely lovely and a perfect quilting design for the texture and soft look you wanted.

Jenny said...

I love the pretty colours, it is a lovely quilt indeed!

Sheila said...

Lovely soft colors. It's beautiful and I love it!

Mystic Quilter said...

So pleased to see a photo of the completed quilt, I always looked forward to seeing posts when you had been working on this and what a beautiful finish, such lovely quilting.

Dana Gaffney said...

Soo pretty, the colors are fantastic. Good choice for the quilting too, I like how it softens those edges just enough.

Béa said...

Fantastic colours, calm & peaceful, love this quilt (and pattern and quilting) XXX

Nicki said...

Wow Deb! Another beauty has come from your quilting studio. I love the softness & coolness of this quilt. It will bring serenity to someone's life. If you haven't already been asked, you should be a guest speaker/teacher at quilting retreats around the states. Everyone could learn from your expertise.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...