Monday, February 15, 2016

Free motion quilting today

  The second quilt for habitat for Humanity is under the needle today.  It's a simple design with beautiful border fabric....the dark paisley.  When I went to pin it in preparation for the quilting,  I found 2 areas that bubbled up in the center of the quilt.  Re-pressing did not help.  I was concerned about this one.   So I knew I would need a little denser quilting to make it flatten out.  


A little fullness in the border is common and easily absorbed when quilting.   One of the best patterns to work in fullness I find is a curling or meandering  loop.  Yet I did not want to use that here all over the quilt.    So I got out my doodle pad  and looked to the paisley fabric for inspiration.  This is what I came up with.



The swirl of the paisley with a coxcomb of sorts....rather than a regular swirl.  I varied the size and direction of these swirly things.  It is filling in nicely so far.












 I am using a butter yellow thread for this one.....to make it easier to see what I am doing.   Once I finish this one up, I can move on to having some fun.




 Fun...... Like the bow tie blocks.  Dana mentioned that she saw more color wash going on......it could be.  Anyway, I just switched a few around to play with the layout and see what might happen.  I'm not sure if I will do a directional design or throw in the circle layout.

  I ventured out today out of necessity....food!  It was 32 degrees when I left, and 27 degrees when I returned.  That front and moisture is approaching bringing some freezing mist with it.  Yet never fear, it will be 60 degrees by next weekend :)  That sounds really good to me.
Break time is over.....happy stitching.  

7 comments:

Mary said...

Thank you for the border inspiration. Yep. I think I may be seeing a bit of early colorwash technique too!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

We are at 27 here in IL also. It never made it up to 33 like they promised.

I like your bow ties. There are lots of fun layouts with them too.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Thank you for sharing the motif. I ventured out today, too - but we were -2. We are suppose to jump to the 50's - I'm going to stand out in the heat wave!

Dana Gaffney said...

I like that design, not only is it pretty it looks like it would be fun to do. I'm always looking for colorwash in your quilts since I love them so much :)

Ray and Jeanne said...

Love your quilting design - great inspiration for me! Keep warm and dry. ~Jeanne

Janet O. said...

What a pretty quilting design you created!
Oh, yeah--the colorwash comes through loud and clear in the current arrangement. : )

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely quilting design you came up with there. Temperature wise here in Auckland, New Zealand we too are at 27 degrees - but Centigrade! Hs been up to 30 degrees.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...