This is an older publication and I've never made a project from it. I love the crazy patched backgrounds and cute appliques. I took inspiration from a project, but did not follow the directions.....lol, story of my life.
I used large chunks and hunks of small prints/ muted prints to create my background. I liked the offset balance in this layout, so that is how I stitched it up.
I modified the basket shape and made it slightly taller. I was fusing the basket to the background.....and cut out the center portion of the fusible for the basket. This is the Pat Sloan method for fusing.....it keeps those large areas from being stiff. And you get the benefit of the edges being fused---read as no fraying.
The basket, stems, and flowers are fused and stitched down with a small zig zag stitch. I thought the overall design needed a little kick, so I added a bit of fabric as ribbon ends. The edges were stitched with a decorative stitch to give a ruffled edge appearance.
I also used a decorative stitch on the flower petals.
Quilted with swirls and stippling for texture, and finished with a soft blue binding. I pinned it to the design wall and was not satisfied. Either I needed additional buds or blooms on the left, or something. It hung there for a week or so and it dawned on me I had something to finish it off with.
Just what the basket of blooms needed.....a couple of butterflies. These are ready made appliques that I have had in the stash. A little black thread to add them to the finished piece for some balance.
Early Spring---a cute finish for Let's Book It. I am so glad I don't have to follow the rules to play along with this monthly project.
Let's Book It project is hosted and presented by Sharon at Vroomans Quilts. See the details and linky party there every month. For that matter, just join us.
Next month I am reviving a "rejected" book project and turning it into my project of the month. So I have a head start.....