Monday, March 19, 2018

Time to build a log cabin

  We made a trip to the local used book store over the weekend.  I picked up a book, A Log Cabin Notebook, by Mary Ellen Hopkins.  She was one of the first and best quilters to break things down into simple steps.    I have several of her books, but not this one!  So for $3 I was happy.
   We all know you could spend a lifetime making log cabin quilts and never have two the same.   With this book you have a lot of inspiration.  It  has a good tutorial on log cabin blocks... from traditional methods to chain piecing, lots of layouts and design ideas.

  When I did the post on lesson from a log cabin variation,  I showed several quilts using the quarter log cabin block.  Mary Ellen calls it a "chevron log cabin" block in her book.    So call it whatever you prefer,  it is a block I really like.


  I shared the "recipe" I am using to make this block a week ago in this post using 2'' strips.  If you prefer to use 2 1/2'' strips, feel free to adjust the size and measurements.   I have some strips cut and  will be officially starting this project next week.  I am using floral fabrics, and have heard from one who plans on using scraps, another who wants to use up theme fabrics.  Join us if you like, as it could be interesting to see the different looks.



  All those floral fabrics in Boxed Squares.....it is very busy and fun!  And finally all sewn together and ready for quilting.  I will probably use straight line quilting on this one.....nothing else will even show up.  So this is my main task this week.

  Second big task this week is attending to Sir Old Man, who is having cataract surgery on his right eye.  The left one will follow in a few weeks.  We think we have the schedule figured out....like drops in the morning, drops at night, do this, but not that.   He is so use to being in control that the thought of this is driving him a little bit crazy.   Wish me luck:)
Happy stitching. 



14 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Hope his surgery goes smoothly! Love your floral fabrics all together, a garden quilt!

Gene Black said...

I do wish you luck. I hope he is "good" about drops in his eyes. I had to put the drops in Mom's eyes - making multiple trips a day to her house to do it. She doesn't like anything near her eyes. It is quite a schedule to do them both before and after the surgery.

Quilting Babcia said...

Oh I hope your husband's surgery goes well and that he ends up with great vision like my quilting buddy. She no longer needs glasses to thread a needle or drive! That to me would be a miracle. You are enticing me with these log cabin posts and tutorials, I'm going to have to dig out my log cabin books and make another one soon, once I get the backlog of tops quilted and bound that is!

Ray and Jeanne said...

Prayers that all go well with the cataract surgery. Boxed squares is beautiful - can't wait to see it quilted. ~Jeanne

Sylvia Anderson said...

Sir Old Man will be so delighted after his cataract surgeries, and have the eyesight of a young man again. It's really amazing what can be accomplished within such a short period of time. including the gurney ride to the operating room, the happy juice given through the IV, the surgery and return gurney ride, it took just a few minutes over half an hour. The eye drops before and after surgery are the hardest part of the entire procedure. It's not really hard, just annoying, I guess. Good luck to him.

Janet O. said...

One of my first quilting books was by Mary Ellen--my Mother gave it to me. I still have it somewhere. She made it seem doable to me when the whole idea had been quite overwhelming.
Oh, tell hubby to be glad he is having his surgery now that they have simplified the eye drop routine. Even just a couple of years ago when my Dad had his done, there were multiple bottles of drops and the schedule was quite confusing. But the results are well worth it! :)

Linda Swanekamp said...

My quarter log cabins got derailed by doing my daughter's baby shower, but it's over and hope to start again. Going to AQS Lancaster this week, so more delays.

Hope your hubby can relax and just get better. Your photos are gorgeous!

Judy P. said...

I used to work in Santa Monica, just a few blocks from Mary Ellen's store "Crazy Ladies". OMG, this was about 25 years ago. I recently made the cover quilt from your book with my leftover strips. It was actually quilt challenging. We all need to remember our fore-mothers; thank you.

Mystic Quilter said...

I think you might have me caught in your plan for the Log Cabin!! I have heaps of floral fabrics, Hoffman from any years ago etc. a lot are already cut into strips so I think I'll set aside part of my day to gather things together. I seem to be slower these days, like yourself and Linda health problems are part of life, but this would be a good , relaxing project.
Hope Sir Old Man come through his cataract surgery well!

MissPat said...

I'll be home next Sunday so I'll be able to get started on the log cabin using florals. I have a lot of 2" strips I cut for the scrappy water color trip around the world (which is still in progress), so at least I can start right in. Of course, there are a bunch of other projects I need to catch up on, but since it doesn't look like spring is coming any time soon, I'll have time to sew before garden season takes over.
Good luck with caring for your patient. Hope everything goes smoothly.
Pat

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

A friend her her cataract surgery last Wed. She was at the guild meeting on Thursday evening (driven by a friend). She said it went great. Hope your hubby's goes as well.

KatieQ said...

Every year, when I see the lovely doll quilts posted on your blog for "Get Your Mrs. Claus On," I decide I want to make one too. Unfortunately, time seems to get away from me. This year, I want to get an early start. What size should they be?

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Great used book find! My baskets of dark and light 1 1/2" scrappy strips have been growing--maybe next year I'll have enough to dive into my own log cabin? Hope everything goes well for your hubby :o)

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Hope all is going well with Sir Old Man and you. I recently found a box of floral fabric I did not know I had. Hope to use it in some half logs. Thanks for inspiring.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...