Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Adding applique

  It's cold, with a little sleet here....so soup is on and it is warm inside.  I worked on the border applique yesterday.   First part of one corner done.....I need to make more stem pieces today.   And cut more leaves.  I am not going all the way around but plan on at least 2 corners with trailing stems.  I'll do as much as I like or as much as my achy fingers will allow.






  New idea brewing......
I took the time to play around in EQ7 after seeing a different use for small pieces.  The quilt is done in a log cabin setting using small rail fence units.    This link is to my Pinterest save, and the original quilt is from American Patchwork and Quilting.


Scrappy rails in 16 patch block

    I was fascinated by the idea of using the 2 patch rail fence to create units for a log cabin setting.  This would be an awesome leader ender project for scraps.  A perfect donation quilt too. 


  Basically you are making a log cabin style  block of 16 units of the 2 patch rails.  Each small 2 patch rail is alternated in direction--horizontal or vertical.    Each block requires 6 light units, and 10 dark units arranged as shown. 

  I have a lot of 2'' strips....so my cutting would be 2'' by 3 1/2'' log.  16 of these would give me a block that finishes at 12''. 
  If you work with 1 1/2'' strips, then cut 1 1/2'' by 2 1/2'' logs.  The block would finish at 8''. 
   If you elect to sew longer strips together and then cut, use Bonnie Hunter's tips to get variety.  She sews shorter lengths together, say 12'' and then cuts them into her desired size. 

   Happy stitching. 

12 comments:

Calicojoan said...

Ohhhh...I like your rail fence idea too!

Ray and Jeanne said...

The appliqué is looking great! I'll keep that rail fence idea in mind - sounds interesting and fun. Thanks. Stay warm - I made soup today too. ~Jeanne

Linda Swanekamp said...

As usual, your mind works in ways I just love! Maybe I could just cut a bunch of rectangles and give them to my bored Mom to sew as she sews straight seams, but not blocks. It would be an awesome quilt. Thanks so much!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Now your rail fence cabin comes at a perfect time as I just dumped a bag of scraps looking for pieces for another project. Just the best to use up that pile while sorting.

Gail said...

Oh, this is just what I was looking for!!! I'm working on a quilt and don't like the border in the pattern. I've redrawn so I have a small basket in the corners and the vines coming out of them. I drew up an easy flower and leaves. I was just thinking I wanted to add a few different flowers. Went into my new EQ8 and printed out the ones I thought would look. Thank you for the inspiration.

Janet O. said...

The applique really completes this border. So pretty!
That is a fun rail fence idea. It boggles my mind how with all the quilt patterns floating around out there, there is still something new to be discovered!

Mystic Quilter said...

Perfect applique Debbie - looks perfect! You've come up with an interesting idea for the 2 patch rail fence, looking forward to watching the progress.

---"Love" said...

Your beautiful applique makes the corner of your quilt pop! Neat idea for the 2-rail fence blocks too! ---"Love"

Gene Black said...

The appliqué really pops that quilt up a level. I may need to learn to do appliqué just for that reason.
The "faux log cabin" is interesting. I may play with that idea some day.

Quilting Babcia said...

The appliqued borders add so much to this quilt! Looking wonderful!

Mary said...

When a friend showed me this pattern recently, nothing would do but go out and buy the magazine. I need to study your take on it!

Louise said...

This would make a fantastic leader/ender project! And I have lots of 2" strips, too. Hmmm, food for thought :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...