Saturday, February 16, 2019

Border progression

  The leader and ender project from Bonnie Hunter this year has been the Jewel Box Stars I decided to use floral fabrics for the blocks and have enjoyed watching them come together into a very flowery show.   I did not want a  large quilt so I stopped and joined them into a small top.    And now, the blocks are together and it is border time.

  My plan had been to use a 4 patch border on point around it.....but yuck!  I found it so distracting that I did not even take a photo.  But I wanted a enough border for soft quilting.  So here, you can see the progression my thinking took.

    I started with a plain wide border .
 I cut a mottled beige/tan into 6'' widths.
 A little too plain and sort of looks just as it is ---an add on.
    On to the next idea.





 

   I found a dusty rose tone with a gray paisley design in the closet.  I liked the rose tone and it blended well with the blocks.  I cut 1 12/'' strip here and put it between the wide border and the center blocks.
  I like the separation to stop the design.  It also helps define why I want more border.   Alas, it also is sort of lacking.  It needs help.








   So I spent a little while making some vine/stems, and applique shapes from different scraps.  The stem has the backing paper on it still from the fusible, so it doesn't lay nicely.  And I only put up a few leaves and floral shapes to get the effect.  Sir Old Man wants the vine to extend into the blocks over the inset border strip.  That I can do.

   I will be playing around with this for a while.....getting the parts cut, and the borders attached to the quilt blocks.  I think it will be what I want.
Happy stitching:)

15 comments:

Gene Black said...

It is fun to see what great effect a few small changes can make. I like the dark inner border.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I love the applique border idea!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Sir Old Man must have a great eye for design. Maybe he has learned from you. I love the idea of the vine extending into the blocks.

Mary said...

How fun to watch the progression on this project. I like hubby's idea.

Quilting Babcia said...

The little stop border and touches of applique are just what this quilt needed to take it from ordinary scrappy to fabulous!

diane said...

Enjoy seeing the flowery fabrics and they worked out wonderfully in the leader and ender project. Have many such florals so shall keep it in mind for a "someday quilt". Have learned much from you and your quilts. Sir Old Man gets a thumbs up for his input!!

Ray and Jeanne said...

I love seeing your design thoughts. You have come up with a winner with the narrow border and the appliqué. I look forward to seeing the finish. ~Jeanne

Linda Swanekamp said...

I have been working on a scrappy one. I love your florals. I am glad you keep perserving to find a really good solution. Since my applique skills are sadly lacking, I would have to figure out something else. It is going to look terrific!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Totally agree with your design decisions. Will be a beautiful finish. :) (Missing this creative part of quilting with my current projects—no wonder I’m not very enthusiastic about them.)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It is a good solution for your border! I can't keep my interest in applique but you do such a good job of it. After seeing these floral blocks I think I have to start a floral traditional block quilt.

Janet O. said...

From the first photo to the last, it is nice to see the border become an enhancement to the design, rather than just the edge of the quilt. Good work, Debbie!

Unknown said...

Love this Debbie!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh yes, superb idea to go with the applique and I'm looking forward to your post showing us how you're progressing with this, so many lovely florals!

LavenderBlue said...

Debbie, this is a beautiful solution! It makes my desire to learn appliqué more intense.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like the applique with the quilt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...