Friday, March 5, 2010

Work in Progress...jewel box scrap quilt and tutorial!

This is my current evening project.  Looks like just a pile of  bits and pieces.  And it really is.  Lots of 2 1/2 inch  and 5 1/2 inch squares  from the scrap boxes, and strips and squares of a black tone on tone   of which  I had quite a lot of yardage.   
It is well on its way to  becoming a jewel box quilt.



       I have a jewel box quilt I did from the early 90's---the background is muslin and the fabrics are very dated and muted.  It is one of the first quilts I machine quilted and I do love the size.  It is just right for a nap size quilt.  So it is time for a new updated version. 
I ran across the directions that I had torn from a magazine years ago.  I recalculated the measurements to use 2 1/2 inch squares because I had lots of those.  The large squares needed to be 5 1/2 inches to give me 2 HST units ( half square triangle units) that will measure 4 1/2 inches to use in the block. 

Here's a quick tutorial for a Jewel Box..........
The first step is to create the 2 patch unit of black and the scrap fabric.  Cut a 2 1/2 inch wide strip of the background fabric--in this case the black.  Using the  Eleanor Burns method of chain piecing, place a 2 1/2 inch square to the black strip. That will give you lots of 2 patch units to cut apart and press open.    Then 2 sets of 2 patches are joined to create a 4 patch unit.  The 4 patch unit measures 4 1/2 inches now. 


What about the 5 1/2 inch squares?  First mark the back of the black squares --the background--  on the diagonal, corner to corner.  I also mark 1/4 inch on each side of the first line---these are the stitching lines.  Since I am piecing on the featherweight it is easier to take the extra time for a good sewing line.  Pair up a black square with a 5 1/2 inch square of scrap fabric.  Stitch on each stitching line.   Cut apart on the first drawn line.  Now you have 2 HST units.  Square these up to 4 1/2 inches and press. 
Once all the units are completed, they need to be joined
to make the basic block.  It is still just a simple four patch block.  Just get the placement of the black correct to make the pattern work.
The block should measure 8 1/2 inches when assembled. 
    From the photos you can tell I am still stitching the HST units.   So the second part of the tutorial will have to wait till I get enough blocks assembled to see the overall setting.  That could be a while since I only work on this in the evenings while watching TV.   So, guess it  will  be a mystery ..stay tuned to see the results.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...