Sunday, August 8, 2010

I saw a Moose

This is  probably the last post about the AK quilt---I saw a Moose.  It has been fun and quite a revelation, an epiphany,  for  me.   As I was sewing on the binding, I was listening to the radio and a  country song ( I listen to all types of music!)  came on that was taken straight from one of my favorite quotes. 
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but rather by the moments that take your breathe away. 
The song recalls  the importance of slowing down, and taking time, and of the joy of the race and not just the winning.  Tears ran down my face as I listened and knew why this quilt is so important to me and why it has taken a dozen posts to get through it.   The trip to Alaska was full of  "moments that  take your breathe away".   The creation of each block caused me to slow down and enjoy the process.  Drawing the patterns, dying fabrics,  and using techniques I had recently learned through the Art Quilt Workbook were added bonuses.  I will be reminded of the joy of the trip and my family each time I see it as I walk down the hall to my sewing room...especially the purple moose. 
  The label is almost as large as the quilt, but I love it.  I had planned to use the block on the left on the front of the quilt, but it just didn't work.  So, I moved it to the back and made it part of the huge label.  Then I found the moose graphic, and had to include him. 
  And finally, the entire thing.  Hope you have enjoyed the adventure as much as I did.
 And I get to cross another one off my list.
Happy stitching.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...