Sunday, December 18, 2011

Hoping for a better cut

   It was time.  The old mat died, or at least I proclaimed it dead.  I've always used the Olfa green mat, you know the stinky, smelly ones, that need to air out for about 6 weeks before you can stand to use them.  The large 24" by 36" has been used and abused, I guess, for too long.   It quit "self-healing" a few years ago, and developed some flaked and chipped spots --on both side--that I tried to avoid.  It put many a ding in the rotary cutter blades.  I thought these things lasted a life time, and it was only about 20 years old.  Then it literally cracked---yes, a long 3 inch crack appeared. 
    So a little research and ......
  This is the mat I chose....Gingher cutting mat  .   I waited till I had a 50% off coupon, and thought it was a good deal.   It is thick....at least 3 times as thick as the old one.  And lots of line, angles, and shaded grids to help with squaring up.  The other side is a different color way....in blues.  I use the lines for fabric and ruler placement...not for the accurate cutting.  I like the grids for a quick eyeball on keeping things square.  And maybe my blades will last a while longer now.....they now slice thru fabric like butter.
  So if you need a new mat,  or have a gift card, or just deserve an improvement....consider this mat.  The old mat is being relegated to a paint/stain/glue whatever work area cover up.  I couldn't find a decent size area to salvage for a small mat....just too many flaking areas.  Yes, it was time for a better cutting surface.
Happy stitching.
 

5 comments:

Mary said...

Enjoy! If the old was 20 years old, I'd say you more than deserve a new one.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Kudos for you for making do with the old one for so long! I just got a new one a few months ago--happened to find it on clearance believe it or not. My old one was chipped and looking shabby but could've lasted a little longer. Still, couldn't pass up the clearance. Keeping the old one for messier projects. Kinda nice having that new surface to work with!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Debbie. Cool mat, I'm envious! Mine are still holding up though. Happy holiday stitching!
best, nadia

Lynne said...

I like the fact that it is two different colours; I find cutting blue very difficult on my blue mat!

Nicki said...

I like your new mat. The first one I ever had (Olfa) lasted a long time until DH got shoe polish on it & then had it hanging over the edge of the table & leaned on it & snapped of the edge of it. YIKES! I bought a Fiskars (yellow on one side & green on the other) & I really like it. I like the yellow side best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...