Friday, January 4, 2013

Feathers are flying

   Well, maybe not flying but they are coming along!  I got to moving this morning and took care of my to-do list of  prepping for the free motion class next week, bills and such, so I could play this afternoon.   The little table runner was calling.
   I figured it was now or never---or maybe much later---and I began playing with the feathers.  This runner is only about 15 inches wide so I did not have a lot of open space to really get the swirling effect.  I managed a little wavy motion at most.  
  I have drawn these feathers at least 30 times in my sketch pad to get the muscle memory worked out.  I finally have the initial teardrop shop down well and figured out how to get the shape of the plumes.  I am working on the "endless effect".  Not there yet....so I just break thread and start in another location.  It will come eventually.







 The batting is a polyester with a good loft and the relief of the feathers show nicely.  I don't usually stitch on polyester batt but it does work fine for small items.   And yes, I realize that it needs binding.  I will bind it before sending it off.  
    I was just so excited to show how well the stitching turned out.    Now, I have a new motif to add to my quilting skill library.  Yea, all the work last year paid off in plumes!    And new fabric just arrived....oh, boy, it's a good day.  Happy stitching.  

23 comments:

Michele T said...

OMG Debbie!! It is breathtaking and beautiful!! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Wow... your runner is gorgeous! Great feathers!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

All that practic really paid off, just gorgeous!

Queenie Believe said...

Your feathers and table runner are beautiful!!
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie

StitchinByTheLake said...

Debbie it's simply gorgeous! The quilting is wonderful and the flowers are amazing - I love this! blessings, marlene

Impera Magna said...

How beautiful! What fantastic feathers! Wowowowowowo... you must be so proud of yourself!

WTG!!! ^5


Lynne said...

Looks fabulous!

Mary said...

Oh, you feathers are so pretty. Very nicely done.

LAQuilts said...

Wow, the feathers are wonderful, and so is the runner.

Janet O. said...

What a pretty runner, Debbie, and the feathers are a perfect compliment. You did them beautifully! I am impressed!

Karin said...

Looks fantastic. Know what you mean re the muscle memory. Recently completed the tutorial over at SewCalGal from Patsy Thompson and did a feather border. I reckon I did the same shape about 400 times and can honestly say that is exactly how it works. Definitely lost my fear around feathers.

SeeingStars said...

Debbie, your quilting looks terrific. It adds lots of interest and movement without taking away from the beauty of the applique. What a pretty table runner you've made!

Pamela said...

Well done, I think this is beautiful!

Béa said...

Very very beautiful Debbie, I love it !

Calicojoan said...

Spectacular!! I started using Thermore, a poly batting that doesn't wave when hanging for my wall hangings. Even the bigger ones. I am amazed at how much nicer they hang. It has a yucky feel when your touching it, but it does grip the fabric nicely for quilting. Looks like we all need some classes on quilting from you!!! :-)

Dana Gaffney said...

That is beautiful Debbie! The feathers look perfect! You've just given me hope, thanks.

Quilting Babcia said...

Your runner is perfectly lovely! One of my goals for this year is to learn that endless feather technique. You seem to have mastered it quite nicely!

Gisele Bourdon said...

C'est formidable comme vous avez bien réussi. Je me suis procurer le cour de piquage libre par internet de Leach Day.
Je vais commencer à pratiquer pas à pas. J'espère faire de belles chose comme vous. Bon dimanche
Gièle

JoAnne said...

Wow!!! How very awesome!!! I hope someday I can stitch feathers like that.

Nicki said...

Debbie that table runner is gorgeous. I love the way the flow of the feathers compliment the flower pattern in the table runner. Is that what you will be teaching in your FM class or is that going to be a sample of what beautiful FM quilting looks like? I sure would like to take the class from you. I just know you will be a wonderful, patient teacher. What a fantastic job you did on that piece.

San @ Made in Hem said...

That is one gorgeous table runner! I ♥ the puffiness!

Angie in SoCal said...

A delightful piece. Those feathers look awesome.

grapes and hearts said...

Whoopie for adding a new skill!
Your really mastered those feathers, the look crisp and precise.
Well done!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...