Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Student projects

  I spent today just recouping after Monday night's trunk show and then watercolor workshop on Tuesday.  I had great comments on the trunk show......high praise for me was when one gal called me an artist.  Big smile here.
The workshop was only 3 hours, so the projects are just enough for the students to get a taste of the technique and a small project designed.   A larger project would be more of an intermediate class with some extra design work and planning.
  So......how did they do in class?


  Yvonne is a repeat student and just whipped this right out.  The first time around was at least 5 or 6 years ago and she was still teaching.  She has just been waiting patiently to try this technique again.  Her finishing plan is to add a butterfly applique.










  This is a mother and daughter duo.....sorry the other photo was out of focus.  Shelia came well prepared with stacks of squares....more than enough for both of them.   And some for me, too!







  This is mid-point in Patty's project.  Her comment at this point was "This is hard for me."  I know what she meant....learning to focus on the value and not the color, which traditional quilter's look at, is like stepping off a cliff.  You can't believe that it is possible to mix so many prints together and end up with a project that is not a disaster.
  You can see she will have a very nice piece....with lots of impact.








Joan sent me this photo of her project that she finished designing  at home.  Her big concern was using so many bright fabrics, but they add the needed spark to the project.  I was able to point out a couple of spots to smooth out.  I know she plans on adding applique to finish and wanted that large light area for it.








  This is Pat's project.....isn't it great!  Her light area took on a natural curve that she really liked.  That sparkling orange in the corner is so pretty.  We tweaked this at the end of class and I think it looks so good.

  I will be excited to see how they finish each project off.

Sorting out the quilts and my bags of miscellaneous took most of the afternoon.  I caught up on a few circles and then took a nap!  Tomorrow is fully scheduled and I need to be rested.

See you in a few days.....happy stitching.

8 comments:

Janet O. said...

Looks like a successful class, Debbie. That has got to feel good. Without a great teacher, your students would not have done so well!

Toni Macomb said...

Darn! Wish I were closer. I would take a class from you! Wonderful projects. Thank you for sharing!

Siver_Angela said...

Шикарная акварель. Не устаю повторять.

Dana Gaffney said...

They all look so good, it's nice to see you spreading the beauty around. Trunk show and class right on top of each other? You must be exhausted.

Quilting Babcia said...

I'll bet taking your class would be such fun, and inspiring. These are all great projects!

Nicki said...

Your students learned well from you. All their projects are going to be real beauties when they are completed. I love how each one is so uniquely different. You did good which allowed them to do good.

Shelia said...

Mom and I totally enjoyed the class, I'm almost finished with my project. I'll send you pictures of the finished piece. Thanks again for an inspiring lecture/trunk show and workshop!!

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

The switch of focus from color to value would be interesting. Nice projects!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...