Monday, October 10, 2016

Blocks to make

   I spotted a sew along for Fall at From my Carolina Home blog.  Each Friday Carole will post a project....do one or all.  She gives a good tutorial on making the leaf block, too.      Here are my first two, done very scrappy with what I found  already cut in the scrap boxes.   I need to dig some more and cut more background pieces.  Good practice for me.





    I added two more blocks to the Let's Book  It project.   On the wall they look good....but here they look too light (bottom right).    
  Studying this block, I can see that color/value placement really affects things down the road in assembly.  I like the light value strips mixed in, but now see that  I can do better in placing them toward the center of block.  I will try again.


Note:  Take photos of your project.  Then view them on the computer screen.  It is easy to spot potential problems that way.
I am willing to show the "good, bad, and the ugly" as a learning tool......but know it is not required.


Quilting is more fun than HouseworkCynthia is hosting a linky party for scrap projects at Quilting is more fun than Housework .  Check it out for inspiration.

 Happy stitching.   

16 comments:

Quilting Tangent said...

Thank you for the link to 'From My Carolina Home'. I saw the quilt along the other day, then lost it and didn't remember who was doing it. Beautiful leaf blocks.

Ray and Jeanne said...

I love your leaf blocks. Think I'll head over and check out From My Carolina Home. You are right about the color values in your blocks. Sometimes I use black and white photos to help me see the values. It's so nice to have you posting more often. ~Jeanne

Mary said...

I love your scrappy floral blocks. Thanks for the links.

Quilting Babcia said...

So many fun quiltalongs going on right now. I love your leaf blocks and the soft colors you've chosen. Thanks for the link to the 'From My Carolina Home' blog.

Janet O. said...

Those are pretty Maple Leaf blocks!
I think when we share our "didn't like it" experiences, as well as our "love it" experiences, we all learn. Thanks for being willing share your learning experiences with us!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great start on the leaves. I agree with Janet - I like to see the 'ughs' with the 'ohhhs'. We all have them and need to learn from them.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Thanks so much for the mention, Debbie! Your leaves look great!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I saw Carole's block tutorial too and pulled some fabric. Thanks for sharing your scrappy blocks with Oh Scrap! this week!

Sherry said...

I really like how the light fabrics in your "Book It" project create a light star/flower/design as a counterpoint to the dark ones. I have made a similar block for a Stash Bee member and have the pattern on my "to do" list. . . .after seeing how the colors work in your picture I think it may become a more urgent project.

Thank you for the inspiration.

Sylvia Anderson said...

So good to see you 'back in the saddle', Debbie. You have been an inspiration to us all and I will continue to pray for your continued success in gaining back everything that was lost to you. The will to succeed is a strong one, and I know you can accomplish what you set your mind to.

France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation said...

Pretty leaves. I particularly like the one on the right. :-)

Barbara said...

The leaves are pretty. I like making leaf blocks. They're kind of fun and a great way to use scraps. It's good to see you sewing again.

MissPat said...

I've started the HST for my leaves but haven't actually sewn any leaf blocks yet.
I think you need to make a few more pineapple blossom blocks and play with the layout before you decide that the light sides don't work. Glad to see your progress.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

I totally agree with you Debbie, photos have shown me many, many mistakes in my work! Your maple leaves are beautiful and Carole has a great tutorial!

Nancy said...

Fun blocks and lesson learned. Your quilted projects will look great.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

I've always wanted to make a whole quilt of scrappy leaves like that. I was just saying the other day that my cell phone is one of my greatest quilting tools--I had my latest quilt all laid out on the floor but it took seeing it all in a small picture--especially because they're large blocks--to see I had a block turned wrong. I'd like to think I'd have noticed it when sewing it together but better safe than sorry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...