Friday, November 8, 2019

From panels to tops

   Working away and making a huge mess in the sewing room.  I will have to take a few days next week to get things back in order.

 
  First up......from Panel to top is the seasonal throw.  The color is not good on the outer border....it is all in gray tones.  It reminds me of looking out thru a window with stained glass around it.  I have the red dot backing cut, washed and pressed.  Ready for pinning to quilt.  The binding is cut and ready to stitch together. 
   It may have taken a couple of design tries to get this one figured out....but I feel it was worth it. 

  In between putting this one together I worked on more of the wonky courthouse step blocks.....I have strips everywhere. That's the part that I need to clean up before going further.



  Second panel to top.....this is a small wall hanging.   When the inspiration hit for this one 2 days ago,  nothing would do until I started.  I mean I could not concentrate on anything else.
 With all the crazy madness going on in the world I find it too easy to fall into the  habit of being bitter and angry.  I am here, I am alive.  I am able to do things, and I can think for myself.   I need to focus on all the good things I am....all the things to be grateful for.   I want to begin each day with a grateful heart.



The center was part of a pre-printed panel I got in North Carolina.  Surrounding this sentiment with my floral squares was natural.  Combining two things I love.....words and flowers. 
  Right now it is pinned to the design wall.  I will decide how to finish it off once I get the seasonal top quilted. 







       This morning was the day......for shopping for new chairs.  The air cylinder took it final gasp on my sewing room chair, and Sir Old Man had been practically sitting on the floor in his office chair.   I tried researching them on line and realized, I needed to sit in the chair.  I needed a higher one for the sewing room.  If I sit higher and have the correct 90 degree angle for my arms, I do not get a back ache. 
   so after sitting in almost every chair in the office store, we found one.  Just one, and of course it was the pricey $$$ one too.  With a name like Tempurpedic of course it is.  Lol.  I sit high now :)



  It was so nice to be out and see the trees with some color.  Freeze warnings tonight so the leaves will disappear quickly now.  I had to pull out my wrist supports again.  I am grateful to have them  when the inflammation gets bad.  Of course, I have been over doing it.  I will take the weekend off.  Stay warm and happy stitching.   

13 comments:

---"Love" said...

Your first panel project is very pretty, but I absolutely love the second project! Your flowers are a perfect setting for the panel. I'm sure you will love the new chair too! ---"Love"

Janet O. said...

You described the effect of your borders on that first panel perfectly. Very good choice.
The second panel is so "you", Debbie. And it is a perfect match-up with your floral color wash around it. It really is lovely.
I'm glad you played Goldilocks with the chairs and found one that was just right. I almost ordered a chair for my quilting machine without sitting in one. So glad I tried it first. For all its well-known brand, it was horribly uncomfortable. I sat in another that I loved and was able to negotiate a better price

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

A great way to begin each day--not easily remembered sometimes but having it written in a quilt should help. The new chair sounds great. Enjoy your rest this weekend.

Ray and Jeanne said...

I love the way the winter scene turned out with your borders. Very pretty! Glad you found a chair - they are pricey but worth it if you can sit and work without hurting. ~Jeanne

Pamela Arbour said...

You did a fabulous job on both panels. Thanks for the inspiration.

Gene Black said...

I love the colorwash type setting you used for the Grateful panel. Both of these look delightful.

I don't like this cold weather at ALL.

I agree with you on buying a chair, I have to sit in it and see if it fits *my* body.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

A good chair is so essential, you'll be able to do more with less pain. Great project in progress!

LA Paylor said...

I need to be low enough for both legs to bend at 45 deg. as my spine and pelvis cause the trouble with angles. But it's important to have your arms right too. I think I need some kind of platform for feet. Oy. All we want to do is create! Best of luck with a new chair, it's a miracle to find the right one.
LeeAnna

Louise said...

Great sentiment on that panel! And the rustic woodsy look of it works so well with your florals. Your stained glass piece is working out so nicely, too! Can't wait to see them both quilted up and full of texture :)

Quilting Babcia said...

Buying the right chair is about the same as buying the right car, if it isn't comfortable it's not the right one. So many of the newer cars now have the neck restraints tipped so far forward that the neck is placed at an awkward angle with your head facing downward. Definitely not for arthritic oldsters! I'm glad you found what works for you now! I absolutely love both of your current projects, but especially the first one - fabulous!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

I especially love the panel with the floral border thou both are great. Happy quilting!

Mystic Quilter said...

Nice seasonal top Debbie and perfect words on the flora panel. Good luck find suitable chairs, very important for sewing. Now, your mention of Tempurpedic regarding your chair had me sitting bolt upright - I have an adjustable Tempurpedic bed and the mattress is amazing. We bought it almost 10 years ago, yes very expensive but well worth the price. I must see if they have the chairs over here!!!
Great sentiment in the words on your last panel!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Debbie,
You have proven a panel is more than a single thing. Using block and color skills, it becomes a quilt. Love the floral one. My sewing chair, believe it or not, is an Ikea plastic one that is surprisingly comfortable. I went back and bought another for the other side of the table.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...